Transmission fluid hose or cooler broke while driving Help !!!!

Old 11-27-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid hose or cooler broke while driving Help !!!!

While driving home doing speed limit I noticed alot of smoke coming from the back of my car and my RPMS then shot up and my speed did not increase. I pulled the car over and noticed that all my transmission fluid was heavily leaking from underneath the car. It looked like it was coming from my B&M tranny cooler but it was to dark to tell where the leak was coming from. Tried to start the car again and the car would shift into gear but it did not move when i pressed on the gas in any gear, so i shut the car off. My car is a 00 T/A A4.
Does anyone know what the problem might be?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-27-2005, 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

Since you lost you fluid, your transmission is now dead. Try fixing the leak and adding more fluid and see if it moves again.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bad Blu Formula
Since you lost you fluid, your transmission is now dead. Try fixing the leak and adding more fluid and see if it moves again.

Fill the trans with fluid and check if its ok. If its ok clean it up and check for leaks and fix the leaks.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:49 PM
Banned

You're gonna have to clean/replace the solenoids. I'd say to flush the tranny fluid for a temporary fix, but in your case all you have to do is fill up the ATF.

Find the leak, fix it, then top off. With as much burnt clutch as there probably is in that case, I wouldn't be surprised if the tranny "locked up" within 10 miles of normal driving. On the test drive, try to stay in your neighborhood, and be prepared to have it towed.

If it continues to "lock up" (not really lock up, but where it seems like the tranny is stuck in Neutral), just pull over (be glad you still have power brakes/steering) and let the car sit for five minutes. This will give time for all the suspended metal clutch particles to settle back in the pan; it should buy you another 5min/5mi.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:21 AM
TECH Regular

Don't get too worked up yet. I had the same thing happen to me and everything turned out fine. One of my cooler lines seperated (bad install on my part) and I got the same plume of smoke behind me. As soon as I saw the smoke I only drove another 50 into a parking lot but I could feel the tranny starting to slip.

Like I said don't get too worked up yet but be prepared for the worst if it does come out that way.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Banned

i had that problem also but it was the lines on the side of the tranny
Old 04-01-2017, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by alexf20c
You're gonna have to clean/replace the solenoids. I'd say to flush the tranny fluid for a temporary fix, but in your case all you have to do is fill up the ATF.

Find the leak, fix it, then top off. With as much burnt clutch as there probably is in that case, I wouldn't be surprised if the tranny "locked up" within 10 miles of normal driving. On the test drive, try to stay in your neighborhood, and be prepared to have it towed.

If it continues to "lock up" (not really lock up, but where it seems like the tranny is stuck in Neutral), just pull over (be glad you still have power brakes/steering) and let the car sit for five minutes. This will give time for all the suspended metal clutch particles to settle back in the pan; it should buy you another 5min/5mi.
I had the same thing happen and now I have no 3rd or 4th
Old 04-01-2017, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Justintime225
I had the same thing happen and now I have no 3rd or 4th
This post was started over a decade ago, Talk about bringing up the dead. I think you should change your screen name to "better late than never" instead of justintime. lol
Old 04-04-2017, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Holy mother of God thread revival.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Now I can't help, but wonder what happened! Lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission fluid hose or cooler broke while driving Help !!!!