Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chicks made me break my car!!

Old 11-28-2005, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chicks made me break my car!!

I am a proud owner of a 2001 Firebird WS-6 with 13,500 miles on it, and here's my story....

so there where these hot chicks... right.. and they're like "nice car", so of course being the idiot I am, I put my right foot on both the throttle and brake all the way, and my left foots drops the clutch. What happens there is the worlds cloudiest burnout from red-line. The chicks love it, and as I drive away they blow me a kiss... (ok that part didn't happen) but... as I'm driving I get a clicking noise as I give it throttle. Its not the the tranny, as the clicking is still audible at 2500+ RPM even in neutral.

My neighbor who's a mechanic says its the rockers, or the crankshaft bearings... he says he cant fix it, doesnt have the tools for that...

I'm talking with Tom (ls1tech s/n: letsndy) on what this could be, but does anyone on this forum have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!
Old 11-28-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

is it just a ticking noise, or is it more of a knock?

figure out if it comes from the top of the motor, or deeper in the bay(which would indicate a problem in the bottom end). let us know.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pull the rockers. Only takes some 8 and 10 mm sockets. And a torque wrench to put them back on (22 ft lbs). Once you pull the rockers pull out all the pushrods and roll them on glass to make sure theyre not bent. Start there, as its fairly easy to do.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Could have bent a pushrod. It depends if its more of a tapping or knocking.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need to hope its not the crank bearings, can you tell where the clicking is coming from, specifically?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spun bearing, bent pushrod, collapsed lifter.... could be any of the those. Pushrods are easiest to check. Sounds like you really rag on your car...
Old 11-28-2005, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
is it just a ticking noise, or is it more of a knock?

figure out if it comes from the top of the motor, or deeper in the bay(which would indicate a problem in the bottom end). let us know.
ya, my mechanic friend said that its a "knock" and he couldn't determine if it was the top rockers or the bottom ones underneath the engine.

he said if its the top ones, thats an easy fix, but if its the bottom one, im totally screwed
Old 11-28-2005, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

how much mechanical experience does your friend have....bottom rockers underneath the engine huh?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:19 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull the valve covers, pull the rockers, inspect the pushrods. It's easy to do.
Check out ls1howto.com (refer to the beginning part of the cam swap write-up) for info on how to do this.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by markozga
he said if its the top ones, thats an easy fix, but if its the bottom one, im totally screwed
Dude, stop talking to that guy. He's not gonna help matters. No offense, but maybe you should take it too a pro.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by markozga
ya, my mechanic friend said that its a "knock" and he couldn't determine if it was the top rockers or the bottom ones underneath the engine.
Top or bottom rockers? Run away from that mechanic as fast as you can Do what these guys tell you. Pop the valve covers off and check your pushrods and rockers. The top rockers. The only rockers you have lol
Old 11-28-2005, 02:28 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Lol, I didn't want to be the one to say it, hehe.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Everyone! Thank you all for your advice, I'm gonna take all this info and get busy fixin my love of my life. Thanks again!
Old 11-28-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Veteran

If its a bearing noise you should notice a difference in oil pressure from what it was before(lower).
Old 11-28-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe something got lost in the translation. Perhaps the mechnic was speculating as to weather it was a top end knock or a bottom end knock. If he said the top end knock might be rockers, I could see how someone who didnt know any different could think a lower end knock must be from the bottom rockers.

Just to set things straight, top end denotes valvetrain (lifters, rockers, pushrods, etc.) whereas a lower end knock means its a rod or main bearing thats spun.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Maybe something got lost in the translation. Perhaps the mechnic was speculating as to weather it was a top end knock or a bottom end knock. If he said the top end knock might be rockers, I could see how someone who didnt know any different could think a lower end knock must be from the bottom rockers.

Just to set things straight, top end denotes valvetrain (lifters, rockers, pushrods, etc.) whereas a lower end knock means its a rod or main bearing thats spun.
Yes, I am the guy who lost the translation... (sadly i can program in binary, but i cant fix an engine)...

What GuitsBoy said is what my friend said, definetly.

There is also another part to this story. I had to put a quart or two of oil two months ago, as the low oil sign showed up. I did so, not thinking much about it, but when I gave the car to my friend he said my car was dangerosluy low on oil. So he had further reason to suspect its the lower end knock...

At this point all i can do is find out where its coming from definetly, hopefully Tom or his friend can show me this weekend.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ss rally red
If its a bearing noise you should notice a difference in oil pressure from what it was before(lower).

I haven't paid attention to the oil marker on the dash, I will monitor this closely now.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

hopefully you'll have an idea where it was at cold and hot in pressure before this happened.

you can pull the old broom stick out and give that a try (ya know thumb on end, pressed to ear) place on various parts and you can hear any differences..
Old 11-28-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Junkie

If you lost a rod bearing you can tell by pulling the spark plug wire for each cylinder and listen for the knock. If it goes away on a cylinder when you pull the wire then this is the cylinder where the bad bearing resides.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:53 PM
12 Second Club

just pull the valve covers and see it anything is bent/broken/twisted. that cheaper then trying to figure out if its the bottom end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fuerzaws6

Search this Thread