Door panel cracking

Old 11-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Door panel cracking

Wondering...anyone know what causes the door panels to start cracking on the top by the window..my driver side and pass are beginning to show the crack (looks like a white indented line)?

THX
Old 11-28-2005, 05:18 PM
Ginger Hater

i'm not sure why it does that, but i ran mine into a curb last night(one of the f'd up ones only CS has) and it cracked the door panel in the lower right of the Drivers side. just wondering how hard it is to switch out the door skin, so i'm thinking you have to replace the door skin as well. and decided to throw this one out there as well.

/thread hi-jack attempt.

-jon
Old 11-28-2005, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, the same thing just happened to my car yesterday. Wierd both sides cracked at the same time! But i dont know why or what made them crack
Old 11-28-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

There is a staple that holds the trim piece up by the window. I hear that staple is what causes the door panel to crack along with the hot weather.

I replaced my driver door panel just last year
Old 11-28-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I believe it has to do with lowering the windows all the way down. If you look the door skin closely you will see that it kinds of bulge out if the window is pulled down all the way. Its a manufacturing defect that aparently puts too much pressure creating the crack. I had two, one at each side. I found a good deal in e-bay (not cracked) and before installing them I reinforced them using a hard rubber and clear silicone. So far so good (knock on wood!) Also when I lower my windows Im always careful as to not lowering them all the way down, just where they become flush with the weatherstriping. At this point no pressure is felt against the door skin.
Hope that helps!

Search this Thread