Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque converter won't lock up, Can I drive it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque converter won't lock up, Can I drive it?

My torque converter won't lock up and I am positive that it is the verter, I just swapped the tranny out and it still wouldn't lock up. Will I hurt any thing driving the car or racing it if the lock up clutch is gone. It does throw a code the famous P1870 Trans Component Slipping. I have a tranny temp gauge and if I see it get above 190 I stop driving.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not reccomended because when the P1870 sets, the PCM defaults to maximum line pressure all the time. This causes very harsh shifts, and can cause internal damage. I have torn down several transmissions w/ continuous P1870 code driving, and the checkballs are either stuck, or completely through the spacer plate.
Granted, spacers plates are cheap, but when the ball gets stuck, the components using that circuit will not release fast enough and drag, leading to eventual clutch/band failure. The 2nd feed checkball is usually the first to get stuck, and band failure is usually shortly after.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You probably could still drive it but your rpm are goin to be up, keep your speed down until you get it fixed.