Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Exedy Twin Disc Problem

Old 11-29-2005, 05:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exedy Twin Disc Problem

I am doing a A4 to T56 Swap for someone. He got an upgraded transmission, upgraded hydraulics, and a used EXEDY twin disc clutch setup. Everything went smoothly except when I put the car in the air to test it out at first it wouldn't go into gear. After a lot of bleeding and adjusting of the rod connected to the clutch pedal we got the pedal better and the transmission to go into gear fine. But it engages too early and the wheels will move slightly while in neutral (pp not disengaging all the way I assume). It doesn't make any odd noises or anything.

I didn't get any instructions with the clutch and just torqued the pressured plate (35-45-50) like a stock one. The second disc assembly I left assembled the way it was from the previous owner. The high side of the first clutch disc was placed towards the pressure plate. Everything was lined up fine with the alignment tool and the trans went in fine.

Just wondering if anyone had the instructions they could post or if they know anything about torquing the pressure plate or if there is anything special I need to do with the second disc assembly to set it up or any other suggestions. I'm about to pull the trans to take a look at the clutch assembly.

Be easy on me I mostly deal with automatic transmissions and stock style clutches.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

being hard to get into gear could be the PP not releasing all the way, you might have to shim the slave. Did you mean when the trans is in neutral the wheels still turn or when you push the clutch in all the way the wheels still turn? If its in gear with the clutch to the floor its the slave, you'll have to shim it. if its in neutral I think it may be due to the internal clearances of trans, not really a bad thing because when its on the ground you'll never notice it. Also when its in neutral and the clutch is engaged the input to the trans is turning.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

I think it is the pressure plate not releasing all the way like you said and it engages gear too quickly. The wheels would spin slowly as soon as you started the car in neutral with the clutch in and they would continue spinning when the clutch was released in neutral. It wasn't like they were in gear.. just very slow spinning that could be stopped with one foot easily.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

I talked to the owner of the car and he said that the clutch hydraulics and slave were about 2 years old. I guess I am going to pull the transmission and replace the slave.

I found online that the torque specs on the PP bolts are 48 ft lbs and I went to 50 so I don't see that being an issue.

Anyone have a copy of the instructions they could scan or take a picture of and post up? I have a feeling getting a hold of Exedy may be difficult since they are from the UK I think.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exedy Twin Disc Problem