Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much hp can stock motor adn tranny handle

Old 11-29-2005, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much hp can stock motor adn tranny handle

This question may have been posted already, if so my apologizes.

98 C5 STS-TT w/ TNT 100 wet

How much horsepower can the stock C5 motor handle? I have been told that no more than 600 crank hp. Is this true?

Also can the A4 stock transmission manage to keep up. I have been told that on the C5's that this is the weakest link and requires some help to support this power. How much can the handle

The car is primarily a freeway runner, not from digs. I suspect that it is easier on the car.

Please advise.

andy
Old 11-29-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes it will be a little easier due to fewer shifts. The torque is what kills trannys, and it normally happens at a shift.
Which engines and trannys will live at what power level is impossible to predict, but there are some out there going over 600hp.

You have to remember though, that with increased power output stock parts can live, but it is just a matter of time. Some will be sooner and some later.
You can't bet the bank on stock parts not breaking, but then you could be really lucky.

A friend of mine makes 550rwhp with a 200 shot of n2o and has not broken the stock engine or transmission.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by white2001s10
Yes it will be a little easier due to fewer shifts. The torque is what kills trannys, and it normally happens at a shift.
Which engines and trannys will live at what power level is impossible to predict, but there are some out there going over 600hp.

You have to remember though, that with increased power output stock parts can live, but it is just a matter of time. Some will be sooner and some later.
You can't bet the bank on stock parts not breaking, but then you could be really lucky.

A friend of mine makes 550rwhp with a 200 shot of n2o and has not broken the stock engine or transmission.
I certainly hope I have that kind of luck.

Do you suggest that I manual shift the car from the 3rd to 4th. The reason I ask is, I typically allowing the car to decide because I do not want to be distracted will doing big freeway runs.

Then would you suggest a shift lite just so I now when.

How much torque has been discussed, that the A4 can handle?

Thanks
andy
Old 11-30-2005, 07:19 AM
11 Second Club

I believe the A4 is rated for 450 torque. I forget where I read that though so I may be off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much hp can stock motor adn tranny handle