Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is changing Transmision fluid an easy task ???

Old 11-30-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is changing Transmision fluid an easy task ???

I would like to do this as my car has 40K miles and its never been done.
Its part of a major tune up I would like to perform on the car along with a rear end oil change and spark plugs/wires.
And I should also buy the filter right ?

Thanks
Old 11-30-2005, 07:42 PM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

What kind of car do you have? It makes a big difference.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

2002 Camaro SS sir
Old 12-01-2005, 06:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ~ever~
I would like to do this as my car has 40K miles and its never been done.
Its part of a major tune up I would like to perform on the car along with a rear end oil change and spark plugs/wires.
And I should also buy the filter right ?

Thanks
As a side note, I was recently told by a manufacturer to shy away from synthetic transmission fluid on a transmission with any miles on it as the bands have been worn in and are smooth already. They said the synthetic is too slippery and will cause the transmission clutches to burn out (if I understood correctly). I was told to use the factory-fill Dexron.
Ed
Old 12-01-2005, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it's very hard at all. For me it was as simple as putting the car up on stands, removing all the bolts, take down the pan (watch for all the fluid coming out), replacing the filter, and putting it all back together. I used a torque wrench putting the bolts back on.

The counter guy at Advanced Auto gave me a filter with a long tube. It was too long and I had to take it back to get the shorter one.

I've taken to sucking out the fluid with a length of clear plastic hose to a hole in my oil recycling can and putting my vacuum hose to the spout. It makes dropping the pan less of a mess when it's empty.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Import Patrol

Here is the method I use when dropping the pan to change the fluid.

-Let the trans cool down.
-Jack the car up.
-Start unscrewing all the bolts, except the bolts in the front of the pan.
-Slide the recovery pan under the transmission pan, and leave it towards the back of the trans pan.
-Loosen up the front bolts.
-If the trans pan is stuck to the trans, pry it off alittle with a putty knife to break the seal.
-Once you see that the pan is no longer snug in the back section, remove all the back bolts with the exception of the 2 corner bolts.
-Then slowly back out the 2 bolts a little at a time. You will notice the pan will start to tip and the trans fluid with start pouring out at the back end into your recovery pan.
-Take the 2 bolts out and pull the pan down.
-Clean the metal shavings off the magnet in the pan.
-Remove the old filter, (check to make sure the filter neck piece did not stick in the trans. If so use a pair of needle nose to pull it out.
-Install the new filter
-Bolt the pan back on
-Filler up with fluid
-Wash your hands
-Now you just deserved a ice cold beer.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ImportPatrolWS6
Here is the method I use when dropping the pan to change the fluid.

-Let the trans cool down.
-Jack the car up.
-Start unscrewing all the bolts, except the bolts in the front of the pan.
-Slide the recovery pan under the transmission pan, and leave it towards the back of the trans pan.
-Loosen up the front bolts.
-If the trans pan is stuck to the trans, pry it off alittle with a putty knife to break the seal.
-Once you see that the pan is no longer snug in the back section, remove all the back bolts with the exception of the 2 corner bolts.
-Then slowly back out the 2 bolts a little at a time. You will notice the pan will start to tip and the trans fluid with start pouring out at the back end into your recovery pan.
-Take the 2 bolts out and pull the pan down.
-Clean the metal shavings off the magnet in the pan.
-Remove the old filter, (check to make sure the filter neck piece did not stick in the trans. If so use a pair of needle nose to pull it out.
-Install the new filter
-Bolt the pan back on
-Filler up with fluid
-Wash your hands
-Now you just deserved a ice cold beer.

EDIT- Sorry, forgot this was automatic forum.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Easy, yes.

Messy, YES.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by C5XTASY
As a side note, I was recently told by a manufacturer to shy away from synthetic transmission fluid on a transmission with any miles on it as the bands have been worn in and are smooth already. They said the synthetic is too slippery and will cause the transmission clutches to burn out (if I understood correctly). I was told to use the factory-fill Dexron.
Ed
Thats interesting, i was going to put synthetic in my built 4L60-E, ill look into that..
Old 12-11-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wink

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
Easy, yes.

Messy, YES.
I've been doing this one for years. If you have a Rubbermaid 32 gallon trash can (or something similar), take the lid, flip it over and drill a hole smack dab in the middle of it. Set this on top of your drain pan and you've got one giant size "funnel" to catch all the trans fluid that wants to go everywhere but where it's supposed to.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1BAD98LS1
Thats interesting, i was going to put synthetic in my built 4L60-E, ill look into that..
well, dont do it. i was told by the guy that built my tranny that the 4l60e is not made to run synthetic. the synthetic is to slippery for the tranny and it will cause the clutch packs to prematurely fail causeing you tranny to be junk. this also does not matter weather the clutch packs are old and worn or if they are new, synthetic is not good for the 4l60e and will kill it
Old 12-11-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Worst-case scenario, you spill the contents of the pan all over your garage floor.

Best-case, you know it was done right.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:55 AM
TECH Addict

Now im really wondering if I should use Synthetic for fluid....

I was going to go all Royal Purple on my car, Engine Oil, Trans Oil, and Rear End.

Why would it be bad ??? In Horsepower TV they did this to a Camaro SS and they even gained like 8 rwhp
Old 12-12-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ~ever~
Now im really wondering if I should use Synthetic for fluid....

I was going to go all Royal Purple on my car, Engine Oil, Trans Oil, and Rear End.

Why would it be bad ??? In Horsepower TV they did this to a Camaro SS and they even gained like 8 rwhp
Personally, I wouldn't flush your tranny either. Just change the fluid.

You'll get two schools of thought on this, just like you will on which fluid to use. Educate yourself, trust your decision,and don't look back.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:34 AM
Banned

Its very easy but i have a truck pan
Old 12-12-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gearhead1
I've been doing this one for years. If you have a Rubbermaid 32 gallon trash can (or something similar), take the lid, flip it over and drill a hole smack dab in the middle of it. Set this on top of your drain pan and you've got one giant size "funnel" to catch all the trans fluid that wants to go everywhere but where it's supposed to.
I like that. I'm going to have to remember that for next time.

In regard to flushing, previous experience has taught me to avoid a full flush unless there is a specific reason for it. The crap stuck in your tranny is often much like the dirt on a 1950s pickup... it's what's holding everything together.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Ohh yeah, I didnt have planned a Full flush. Just a change on Oil.

I dont know if I want to go Royal Purple though, What if the Trans fails and then what. I dont have money for a new one or rebuilt....
Old 12-12-2005, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

I used to run Mobil 1 synthetic trans fluid. I ran it for a year or so w/o any issues. Then I read some of this stuff that is being mentioned and have switched to Valvoline.
The deal with synthetic is this: It actually lubricates too well and the clutches slip more than they are supposed to, generating more heat. Heat kills trannies....
Old 12-12-2005, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

I was always under the impression that the whole point in spending the extra money on synthetic was because it kept your tranny cooler than other trans fluids..
Old 12-12-2005, 05:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by C5XTASY
Ed
I guess if you have a trans cooler and a deep pan than you wouldnt need synthetic for cooler temps anyways...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is changing Transmision fluid an easy task ???