Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Advice on Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice on Gauges

Over the winter I will be installing a D1SC twin intercooled kit on my 383 LT1. I've been doing a lot of searching about different gauges, but I haven't been able to find out too much info. Most of the stuff that came up was in the for sale section.

Anyways, I was wondering what gauges you guys would consider as necessary for having boost. Obviously a boost gauge (just the boost gauge and not the boost/vacume gauge right?) However other than that, i'm not sure which others to get. I was thinking about getting either the 2 pod or triple gauge pod pillar for our cars. The other gauges I thought about getting would be a Fuel Pressure gauge, maybe the wide band O2 (although they are pretty expensive).

Is it possible to peice together a wideband O2 kit by buying the sensor and gauge separately? I've seen the separate parts sold on ebay, but I'm not sure the sensors that are sold alone will work in our cars.

Also, for the other gauge(s) I was thinking about going with Autometer Cobalts, however is there any advantage in terms of accuracy to getting the electric full sweep versions over the mechanical? I know the electric ones are "cleaner", but I've read of some ppl on here having problems with voltage and such.

Has anyone heard of the www.veisystems gauges? I like the look of their boost gauge, but i've never heard of them before.

Do I really need 3 gauges or would 2 be enough. I do not have the capabiltiyh of tuning or anything, but I would like to have the right combination of gauges to montior my system.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for your help!
Old 12-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

i went with these 2, due to the fact that they have warning lights etc..... i have used these in the past, very reliable!!!! (unlike some gauges)!

http://www.sp-power.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=934

http://www.sp-power.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=937

but if price is an issue these look pretty nice!!

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...cat/cat262.htm

Old 12-01-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Fuel Pressure: Important
A/F Ratio: Important, Wideband... Good
Boost: Well, you'll enjoy watching this gauge move its needle very much!

You should figure out how to have three gauges instead of two... Either with a triple gauge pod A-pillar cover, or using AC vents, which I don't think looks all that great...
Old 12-01-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I an running 3----Fuel prs,-your better off with a elct. in this case vs mech. Have not had any problems.
Boost/vac is a must as you say I prefer to have the vac as well.
And last is the Wide band, yes they cost a lot but well worth the money. Thant is the last thing you want is a lean condition, it gives you the piece of mind that you know things are running correctly, even after a good tune. The standard A/F gagues, which are perrty much just a light show.
I went with a Dynojet and it is great! Many great logging features,and it gives you switched outputs activated off of either rpm or a/f. with a option for boost.
Installed a second bung next to its o2. Last time on the dyno that is where I put the dyno,s o2 vs tail pipe and both were right on. So I can say it works great.
I dont see how you could piece one together and have a ture reading system.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Mounting the gauges isn't a problem. I was going to use the A-pillar pod. They have a single, double, or triple. I was just trying to figure out if having 3 gauges is necessary. I was just going to go with the Boost and Fuel Pressure. If I were to get a third it would be the Wideband.
The guy that will be tuning the car is going to use an wideband anyways...so the bung will be welded already.

I saw the dakotadigital ones, I think Tbyrne has them, they are pretty sweet.

how about this wideband?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AEM-U...93895335QQrdZ1
Old 12-01-2005, 01:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most wideband setups used for tuning (ALL that I've seen) go in the tailpipe.... it's an awful lot easier for them to do that rather than weld in a bung and install a sensor...

I went with Dynotune guages in a dual pillar pod. One FP and the other is a wideband AFR. My "boost guage" is an eBoost controller that will steal the middle of 3 AC vents in the car....
Old 12-01-2005, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone think that air temp. is worth the money. Or should the money be spent elsewhere???
Old 12-01-2005, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

what I would go with and have myself are vac/boost ,fuel pressure those are a must.a wideband is nice because you can check your tune etc.

the vac part of it is nice because you can tell quickly if somthing is wrong or you hurt somthing in you motor somtimes.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Aren't mechanical Fuel Pressure Guages against NHRA rules...or some **** like that? I thought they have to be electrical.....
Old 12-01-2005, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

if mounted inside the car.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by boosted99camaro
if mounted inside the car.
yes thats right.....but i've always wondered....where the **** else would you want to mount it? Only place I have seen outside the car is on the hood, but thats a little ricey for me