Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I run 1pc Magnums on the street?

Old 12-02-2005, 01:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I run 1pc Magnums on the street?

I was wondering if you guys think I could get away with running some bolt on Magnums on the street. Weld bosts that they are one of the strongest wheels out there so is it safe to asume that they would hold up as good as my Prostars? These wheels are so damn sweet and will look great with my new set up.

Old 12-02-2005, 02:38 PM
Launching!

very nice wheels. I was wondering the same thing. My car will be mostly a track car but I'd like to drive it to work once and a while, maybe to the store too.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:17 PM
FASTEST ALL MOTOR LS1 IN THE COUNTRY

these rims are no where close to having the strength for a dailt driver like your prostar.....they would get mangled if you hit a pot hole....but that said i do drive my alumnastar 2.0 sparetically on the street with care...
Old 12-02-2005, 08:32 PM
9 Second Club

Yes you have to be very very careful. I have bent my bogarts multiple times on the street just from driving...not hiting anything inparticular. That is an expensive wheel so be careful. I will put those same wheels on my car soon enough but I will very very seldome drive it on the street.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The above comments are correct, that wheel would be similar to our P2 wheel. Our P2 wheels are actually lighter, but in the same category.

It is a very nice wheel...only problem with those one piece wheels unlike our wheels...if you bend it, you've got one large expensive paperweight on hand vs. our wheels which for the most part, we can repair at a very minimal price.

Our wheel is lighter and less expensive though pick what you like better.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Last edited by steve10; 12-02-2005 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steve10
The above comments are correct, that wheel would be similar to our P2 wheel. Our P2 wheels are actually lighter, but in the same category.

It is a very nice wheel...only problem with those one piece wheels unlike our wheels...if you bend it, you've got one large expensive paperweight on hand vs. our wheels which for the most part, we can repair at a very minimal price.

Our wheel is lighter and less expensive though pick what you like better.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Yep exactly what i was told..... a $325 paper weight....... not worth it.....
Old 12-02-2005, 11:54 PM
FormerVendor

Needless to say, the high-end welds are very nice wheels...I'm not here to put the wheel down. If you like them, certainly you won't go wrong with the high-end wheels they produce.

I am biased, I prefer our wheels especially since our P2 high-end drag wheels are less expensive, lighter and can be repaired if you damage them.

Weight obviously varies with design...We can build an aluma lite runner LESS then 7 lbs.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:41 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

It should be noted that the Weld wheels are SFI rated, and Bogarts are not. I have Bogarts for now.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

Well I don't know. I mostly just drive around town and I think I would be ok doing that but, I also drive about 60 miles to the track (one way). Maybe I'll just keep my Prostars until I get a trailer.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:12 PM
FormerVendor

John,

You are correct on the SFI rating. It's something that never really comes up as it is not madated to have the sticker. The wheels have undergone FEA testing as well as some of our series wheels up to 20 years of real world history testing and passed in just about every area. This sticker-rating was not worth the additional costs (which in-turn are passed to the customer). We feel the additional costs to the consumer is not worth it.

If you must have the sticker for your class...(which I'd suggest almost 99% of the folks in here do not need), then you don't have a choice. As mentioned, both wheels are very nice....so no bashing is intented whatsoever.

Search this Thread