Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone out there modify their LS1 pan/pickup to prevent from oil starvation?

Old 12-02-2005, 02:17 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone out there modify their LS1 pan/pickup to prevent from oil starvation?

I blew my motor due to oil starvation from wheeling and when I tore the motor apart, the design of the pan and pickup really surprised me and not in a good way either. I've been recommended going to a dry sump oiling system, but I just don't have the money for that right now. I've also run into the Canton oil pan. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone has modified their stock setup (pan/pickup). If so, could you please post pics? Thanks.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its obvious that your car is gona live its life as a race car. That being siad, a dry sump is your only option. Why waste your time with having a wet sump pan and you taking a risk at spliting it open everytime you pull the wheels.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:00 PM
11 Second Club

i don't see why you couldn't just extend the pick up tube farther back and notch the pick up cover in the oil pan.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My engine builder cut off the stock pickup and used a Canton oil-like pickup instead. It's a square with mesh on it basically.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:03 PM
9 Second Club NA

I'm thinking about just extending the pickup tube and making an opening towards the back. I was wondering if anyone has done this and if you could post pics. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did two minor things. I dropped the pickup about 1/4" lower.

And I put a used sealing ring from a knock sensor around the baffle gap on the side, over the oil level sensor. That helps a little with left turns, but probably wouldn't do much for a wheel stand.

I've heard if you get the oil pickup too close to the bottom of the pan, the oil will vaporize when hot when getting sucked up, then convert back to liquid when it hits the pump, which is not a good thing on either count.

The pickup has a slot that runs front to back. You could seal up the front half of the slot, and widen the slot in the back so it has the same total area as before. Then it would take a little more slosh to the rear before the oil pickup would be uncovered. Or just move the whole pickup rearward if you are having the tube rebuilt anyway.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

I put in a pressure accumulator - poor man's dry sump

http://www.ls1m.com/accusump

The pictures are old- I've since moved it behind the radiator so it won't get banged up
-Mark
Old 12-09-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Was just gonna mention that. I installed a pre-oiler (pressurized accumulator). It will pre-oil the engine before the pump even turns over @ start-up & will eliminate short term oil starvation. Mine is mounted vertically between the radiator & the water pump right next to the fan. It's plumbed directly into the oil passages where the stock pressure sender is. It's easy to install & works great.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

why not just run a Canton pan? Mine is very nice and just needed to relocate the oil filter. Holds 7 quarts and has a baffling system in place.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone out there modify their LS1 pan/pickup to prevent from oil starvation?