Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Building and SCCA Road Racing Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building and SCCA Road Racing Car

Ok so I love road racing and autocrossing, and I have been autocrossing since I got my driver's license 4 years ago. When I first started driving I bought a 95 Firebird for $1500 with a blown head gasket, oxidized paint job, mold throughout the interior, no stereo, speakers, or head unit, "the blades" rims. Some lady turned in front of me while I was driving to school one day and I t-boned her..$3500 in damage to my car. My dad and I did all the repairs and bought all the necessary parts, and had some extra to pretty it up. I turned it into this.........then bought the red thing in the background

I let my mom take the car because she loves it so much and its perfect for her, since she has MS. Not to much power and good looks lol. She is now getting a C5 Vette and giving me back that car. And since I have always wanted to have a full time road racing/autoxing car, and have the chance to do it, I want to fully take on a project of such sorts!!! I am moving back to Orlando where I'll be going to UCF and making close to 400 a week working for some family friends and getting a place to live for free. I know I need to swap out the motor, pricing that is a hard thing to do, what I need is basically a list of what I need to be in either the T1 or T2 SCCA class and around how much it would cost to run it! THANKS IN ADVANCE for anyone who helps me out with what I need to know!
Old 12-02-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Seat time, and more seat time, then you will be able to decide what the car needs. Have you looked at NASA also and participating in CMC (camaro mustang challenge). Its pretty competitive and not expensive at all. For right now though I would get a cage and harnes in the car.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Banned

you have links to sites for either one of those associations, mainly for specifications of classes? Yea I know I need more and more seat time lol! Living close to home and have a better job now will def. give me more of an opportunity to do that. It's tough to do those kind of things while in college
Old 12-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Banned

I also had an opportunity to get my SCCA Pro License this past summer at Sebring, but the a$$hole who was supposed to let me use his car, totally bailed out on me and has yet to return a phone call to my father or I.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

go here.
www.frrax.com
Old 12-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Glenn98ZM6
go here.
www.frrax.com
What he said!
Old 12-05-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm not sure what the T1 and T2 classes are but here are some good mods to start with that will allow you to stay in stock classification in a SCCA solo2 autocross.

#1 mod. Change the shocks. Stock shocks are crap, they give you no stable feel for the car which is essential in autocrossing. Any aftermarket shocks are legal as long as they use stock mounting points. Bilstein HDs dampen the stock springs very well. If you may possibly get springs down the road, you can't go wrong with koni single adjustable sport shocks.

Front swaybar can be changed. Rear cannot. A good setup for this would be a 32mm aftermarket front bar with the 19mm stock rear. 35mm is actually best but more suited paired with a rear 21mm aftermarket bar.

any brake pads can be used

stock rim and stock tire sizes must be used. This means you can use other rims with the same offset size and width with any other tires with the same height sidewall and width (given they are DOT legal). Note some clubs provide street tire classes which is recommended for new drivers. In that case a scca street tire legal is 140 treadwear or higher.

any aftermarket catback exhaust can be used behind the stock ypipe

Mods that will bump you into street prepared classes:
rear swaybar, intake lid, headers, clutch changes, gears, aftermarket hoods, wings, etc

Mods that will bump you into street modified classes:
welded on subframe connectors, forced induction, heads, cam, intake manifold, car body sideskirts, control arms

Please correct me if I am wrong on any of these things as changes get made all the time to the rules, and I also may just be plain wrong . In any case hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Banned

Thanks for the hlep bryan! I've been autoxing in the MSCC in central florida for the past year and half and the rules and guidelines are similar for that. I've been using my 97 T/A to autoX, but now that I'm getting my old 95 bird back, I want to turn it into a full fledged race car, dump the V6 and drop an LS1 or LT1 in it before I do anything else lol!
Old 12-05-2005, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

For T2 the onlything I think you can do performance wise is brake pads and shocks.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

You will be in t2 in a firebird. Links of interest are www.scca.org www.sccaforums.com, www.nasaproracing.com Whichever association you choose make sure you get the rulebook. In SCCA you need a GCR (General Competition Rules) You can obtain that through the www.scca.org site. Club racing rules are much different from the solo rules. The GCR is the bible when racing with the SCCA.

Quick Reply: Building and SCCA Road Racing Car