Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crane Powermax tuning strategy

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crane Powermax tuning strategy

How do you go about finding the optimum tune using the Crane/Vinci tuner? Do you find the best "cam" setting and just add or subtract timing? What about air/fuel ratio adjustments. Is it ok to try different injector sizings to richen or lean the afr? Your methods and thoughts on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:41 PM
11 Second Club

Anybody? ttt
Old 12-03-2005, 03:43 PM
Launching!

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Default tuning

I can't remember if the powermax has scaning capabilities or not. If it does, I would put it on the stock cam performance tune (if you indeed have a stock cam) and monitor knock retard and 02 values. If I was running rich, I'd lean it out just enough that I didn't get any knock. If you're rich, you could try increasing timing until you get knock and then back it off a little. I haven't used a powermax, but that's what I would do. If you can't scan for KR, I would get a wide band and try and hit 13.0 or slightly less A/F at WOT. Either way though, a wide band would be beneficial. I think that you can use the 02's as a guide, but to be dead on, you need a wide band.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:44 PM
10 Second Club

for the most part, yes. you start with the tune that matches the profile you have. then tune from there. even though the cam in the wife's car is a 210/218 112LSA, which would put it in the cam #1 spot, i'm in the cam #3 tune with 5% power enrichment and -10% timing. i did all the adjustments while on a dyno.

if you have stock injectors, you cannot richen it up using the injector size % change method. that's what power enrichment is for.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:53 PM
11 Second Club

Thank you for the info guys! I have an LS1M pda scanner to check on the KR. Mrr23, I think your wife's cam & mine are pretty close. I'm going to try your setting out. Thanks again!
Old 12-03-2005, 04:56 PM
10 Second Club

cam #3 also has better cold start tuning in it. in cam #1 and #2, it would still stall when first starting it. cam #3 took care of that. it's because of the 112 LSA. cam #1 and #2 are more towards 114 lsa cams.

http://www.stealthram.com/vhptuner.htm explains what each cam setting corresponds to which types of cams.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:25 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi

I just bought a Vinci tuner for my 98. I have not used it yet, but I am happy with the service so far. I ordered it over the phone and it was delivered in about 6 or 7 business days. Everything looks good with the unit.

mrr23. I read your tutorial, but I have a few questions. If I am in the Custom Tune Car mode:

MPH Limiter
If I do not want to change this setting, do I select 98 MPH (stock)and select Y, or can I just press N at the begining and skip over to the next menu item.

Also, I have a 98 Z28 with the factory 16" 235 Eagle GA tires. I assume it will have the 98 MPH speed limiter already set. Do you know what my car came with?

Power Enrichmemt & Spark Advance

Same here, do I select org stock /0 % and select Y, or can I just press N at the begining and skip over to the next menu item.

The instruction specify a procedure to jump terminals with a paper clip under the carpet, if the unit will not communicate. Is this common? Should I locate this stuff first before I proceed, or not worry about it too much?

DTC Codes. If I get a DCT code and have to clear it, what will the associated trouble code be, or do they vary?

Thanks JA
Old 12-03-2005, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

for things you are not wanting to make a change on, you select the N to skip it. when you download your stock tune (which for the 97-98 it will take some time) an arrow will be by whatever your original settings are. IE on the speed limiter, if your car has the 98 mph limiter in it, the arrow will be on that selection. if it's unlimited, the arrow will be on that selection. and not on the 98 mph selection. notice arrow on unlimited which my car was programmed stock that way.

if you have a corvette, then you'll need to use the jumper terminal. you have a f-body, so does not apply.

if you have any DTC codes, it'll be for whatever is wrong. no specific ones. i think the corvette will automatically set the P1870 code after initial install of tune. unplug, once uploading of tune is complete. then, plug back in to read the codes and then erase.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:58 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrr23
for things you are not wanting to make a change on, you select the N to skip it. when you download your stock tune (which for the 97-98 it will take some time) an arrow will be by whatever your original settings are. IE on the speed limiter, if your car has the 98 mph limiter in it, the arrow will be on that selection. if it's unlimited, the arrow will be on that selection. and not on the 98 mph selection. notice arrow on unlimited which my car was programmed stock that way.

if you have a corvette, then you'll need to use the jumper terminal. you have a f-body, so does not apply.

if you have any DTC codes, it'll be for whatever is wrong. no specific ones. i think the corvette will automatically set the P1870 code after initial install of tune. unplug, once uploading of tune is complete. then, plug back in to read the codes and then erase.
Hi

Thanks

JA
Old 12-04-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a 99 z and my speed limiter is above 120 mph just an FYI
Old 12-06-2005, 06:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

On the tuner mine is set for unlimited mph past 150.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

UPDATE: I'm trying out the Cam 3 w/ -10% timing. Nice noticeable change at idle. It does feel smoother than Cam 2. I really like the way it drives part throttle. Feels torquier. I'll try to get some track times to see if I get some improvement there as well. mrr23, thanks for the tip!
Old 12-07-2005, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

well, glad to see it worked out for you. try adding +5% power enrichment and see how it does.