Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Welders and Fabricators

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welders and Fabricators

I'm interesting in learning how to weld and or fabricate. I know that covers alot, but for right now all I have in mind is to fab my own turbo kit. I have no welding experience, but where and or how could I go about teaching myself how to weld? Would a community college offer it? Thanks in advanced.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

Or you can do like I did.....buy a welder, some rod, scrap pipe and weld away!!!

Fabrication is alot of trial and error, and mostly taking your time to think thru the angles .
Old 12-02-2005, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Hmm That's true.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ivy tech offers are really cheap course on that. I believe its 1 night a week and is very good from what ive heard.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Depending on how good you want it to look, stainless? MIG or TIG welded?
MIG welding is ok and mainly used for production. If you want detailed and perfection TIG is the way to go. Especially if your using stainless. Anyone can learn to TIG, I think theres videos available. Once you got the general concept its all practice. I weld high pressure (5500+) gas pipes that have to meet x-ray specs. Never went to school, just practice.

Also you can get stainless elbows and tubing from McMaster Carr. www.mcmaster.com for really cheap. 1.5" pipe schedule 10 stainless elbow for around $5 each. Tubing is different than pipe. It cost way more. Im a TIG welder by trade, but fabbing your own kit is relatively simple. Look at my link in signature. Each header I probably have about $50-75 worth of material and about 8 hours of cutting and welding.

Most people use stainless tubing. thin wall (.065) , all the elbows are $12. and up. it adds up fast. Pipe sizes are a little different and alot cheaper. 1.5" pipe will have the O.D. of almost 2" I.D. of 1.875 - (1-7/8) and the wall thickness of .120 (or close) but being stainless the thin stuff will crack under vibration and especially if its supporting weight (turbo) and was never stress releived after being welded.
So using the pipe rather than tube size i think is better. mine are made from 1.5" stainless pipe schedule 10 thickness (.120) and will hold up alot better and not disipate heat as fast.