PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does the F-Body's ECU learn driving habits?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 08:48 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ecu question

Thought somewhat new to the LS1 world, I have been floating around on Ls1tech for awhile and have been trying to learn as much about my F-Body (01 SS A4) as possible.
Without sounding like a complete idiot, I was wondering if the F-Body's ECU learned driving habits? I baby my SS and can count on one hand the amount of times I've put it to the wood in the last 6 months. If I were to give the car some full-throttle runs more often, would I have a harder running car because the ECU would learn a more aggresive driving habits and in turn advance more timing, reduce torque managmentt, etc.? I'm trying to figure out why one day my car will pull really hard and the next (even though the weather/road/conditions are the same) time it feels like a turd.

I was having a converstion with a buddy who has an E46 SMG M3 and said he was told by a tech at Beemer that if an M3 was driven easy all the time, that when you punched on it, the car wouldn't pull as hard as a car that was driven harder all the time. He said that it took 3 full-throttle launchs for the ECU to re-learn a more aggresive tune (IE faster, higher shift points and more timing) and that if driven harder more often, that the times you did punch it, it would pull harder.
He's like me and babies his car, but the tech took him out and punched his car from a 1st gear roll, then did 3 WOT runs from stop and then proceeded to do another 1st gear roll from the same speed and my buddy "claims" the car pulled harder and shifted faster after the 3 WOT runs. Do ECU's "learn" driving habits and do this, are F-Bodies the same?

Sorry for the somewhat meat-headed questions.

Thanks

-J-

Last edited by loloone; 12-02-2005 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think it has to do with the long term & short term fuel trims in the ecu