Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help

Ok I need an argument settled so i thought id come here and ask my fellow ls1 members.

My roomate says that camaros and trans ams are the same basically. Besides basic engine and tranny specs hes going as far as saying they were built on the same assembly line and gm owns pontiac. I do not know the full history of pontiac and gmc but is this true and if so do you have a website for proof?

Thanks for your help
Old 12-02-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

GM owns, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Cadillac, GMC, Buick, Saturn, Holden, Hummer, Saab, part of Isuzu and a bunch other I can't think of off the top of my head right now, just like Ford owns Volvo, Aston Martin, Lincoln, Mercury, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mazda

Not sure if the Firebird and Camaro were built on the same assembly line, I kinda doubt it but the differences really boil down to styling (exterior and interior). Both are great cars and the best bang for the buck you can get if you want performance.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The f bodys (camaro& firebird) were all built at Ste Therese (I may have spelled that wrong) assembly plant, and aside from the styling differences, are in fact the same car
Old 12-02-2005, 11:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
The f bodys (camaro& firebird) were all built at Ste Therese (I may have spelled that wrong) assembly plant, and aside from the styling differences, are in fact the same car
This is absolutely correct. Camaro = Firebird/Trans Am, and Firebird/Trans Am = Camaro. Only difference is cosmetics inside and out. All driveline components, mechanics, chassis, electronics, etc. are the same for both.

Both built at the same plant.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Vassago
I do not know the full history of pontiac and gmc but is this true and if so do you have a website for proof?
As for the GMC/Pontiac connection, I beleive they were combined under the same brand manager as marketing partners sometime around 1995. I beleive GMC was adopted as Pontiac's "truck" division.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have 98 posts on LS1tech.com and didn't know that the "F-Twins" were all but identical?

Are you post whoring so you can sell stuff?
Old 12-03-2005, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sharpe
You have 98 posts on LS1tech.com and didn't know that the "F-Twins" were all but identical?

Are you post whoring so you can sell stuff?

No i am not post whoring. Was a serious question. I knew gm owned all the companies but was wondering about the same assembly line. Didnt know if both camaro and trans am were built off the same line.