Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MS3 or heads cam pkg?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MS3 or heads cam pkg?

Ok i have been lookin and cams for a while and i really want to do the MS3. My car is not a daily driver but i do drive it offten. It is not winter and have to decide what i am goin to do bc i want to start rippin my car apart ANy way would i be better of goin MS3 or a heads cam package. I no you cant use certin heads with the MS3 bc you have to fly cut and i dotn want to do that. I dont no anythgin about heads so i need to learn before i buy. But what would get me more HP Heads cam or Ms3? thanks for any info
Old 12-03-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

U will love the MS3, heads will also make it ten times better, from what I heard.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mike's02ls1
U will love the MS3, heads will also make it ten times better, from what I heard.
what heads can you use with out havein to fly cut the pistons? thanks
Old 12-03-2005, 12:40 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

TSP has a pair of heads that will clear with the MS3...the 5.3 PRC 2.5's will work with a little work on their part. Thats what I am waiting to recieve atleast.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This all depends on your goals for the car. Are you interested in an all out, high revving setup that requires you to push your car to 7k to achieve the best results? And then it will not have the lowend and midrange torque that it once did.

Fill us in on the goals for your car, and what type of driving that you will be doing with it. Then we can tell you a lil more detailed recomendation.

Myself...I will be going with a heads/cam setup. The cam will be in the low-mid 230 duration, and I am going for a goal of a great street car, that I take to the track occassionally for the fun of it.

I am not gonna go big because I don't want to sacrifice power under the curve for peak hp #s.

That's my .02
Old 12-03-2005, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
This all depends on your goals for the car. Are you interested in an all out, high revving setup that requires you to push your car to 7k to achieve the best results? And then it will not have the lowend and midrange torque that it once did.

Fill us in on the goals for your car, and what type of driving that you will be doing with it. Then we can tell you a lil more detailed recomendation.

Myself...I will be going with a heads/cam setup. The cam will be in the low-mid 230 duration, and I am going for a goal of a great street car, that I take to the track occassionally for the fun of it.

I am not gonna go big because I don't want to sacrifice power under the curve for peak hp #s.

That's my .02

Thats what my car is all about i want the most HP and TQ i can egt out of the car but still want a nice street car with track runs on friday nights. I dont want to rev my car to high i guess the lower the better 6200-6500? I was hopein to put donw 450 if not more does that seem resonable? Thanks alot for your help.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 35thls1ss19
Thats what my car is all about i want the most HP and TQ i can egt out of the car but still want a nice street car with track runs on friday nights. I dont want to rev my car to high i guess the lower the better 6200-6500? I was hopein to put donw 450 if not more does that seem resonable? Thanks alot for your help.
No problem at all man, glad to help.

Sounds to me like your looking for the same type of setup that I am. I am not building my car to live at the track, but I want it to perform well when it's there.

Here's what I am planning on doing with my car.

AFR205s or the new ET heads.....have to wait for more results first, cause AFRs are proven performers.
The futral line of cams are known for power under the curve, great streetability, and consistantly put down good numbers. With that said I am looking into the F13, or F14, prolly the later cause I am afraid that if I don't get it, I will wish I had of.

I have had another LS1 car, and it had a TSP 225/225 on 112 cam, so I know that I for sure want something bigger this round.

Do a search on AFRs, F13, and F14 in the dynamometer results section. There are some good results from these types of setups.

And about your first question?? I think that 450rwhp is reasonable nowadays. I am actually shooting for 430+ rwhp with this setup I have in mind with supporting boltons...I think I will get there no problem.

Feel free to ask whatever questions that you might have, or send me a PM. There are many knowledgable people on this board that will be more than happy to assist you in your decisions.

Good luck man!
Old 12-03-2005, 07:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
No problem at all man, glad to help.

Sounds to me like your looking for the same type of setup that I am. I am not building my car to live at the track, but I want it to perform well when it's there.

Here's what I am planning on doing with my car.

AFR205s or the new ET heads.....have to wait for more results first, cause AFRs are proven performers.
The futral line of cams are known for power under the curve, great streetability, and consistantly put down good numbers. With that said I am looking into the F13, or F14, prolly the later cause I am afraid that if I don't get it, I will wish I had of.

I have had another LS1 car, and it had a TSP 225/225 on 112 cam, so I know that I for sure want something bigger this round.

Do a search on AFRs, F13, and F14 in the dynamometer results section. There are some good results from these types of setups.

And about your first question?? I think that 450rwhp is reasonable nowadays. I am actually shooting for 430+ rwhp with this setup I have in mind with supporting boltons...I think I will get there no problem.

Feel free to ask whatever questions that you might have, or send me a PM. There are many knowledgable people on this board that will be more than happy to assist you in your decisions.

Good luck man!
thank you very much for your help i am def goin to keep looking into this.... antoher question what shot you sprayin? Nice track runs and beautiful car!
Old 12-03-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

im currently tearing my car down right now. going from h/c to the ms3. i can't wait to see how it does.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by REDWS6ROCKET
im currently tearing my car down right now. going from h/c to the ms3. i can't wait to see how it does.
goin back to stock heads?
Old 12-04-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

goin back to stock heads?
He is!
Old 12-04-2005, 01:34 PM
10 Second Club

thank you very much for your help i am def goin to keep looking into this.... antoher question what shot you sprayin? Nice track runs and beautiful car!
Thanks man. I am running the NOS 5177 kit with the 125 jets, .036s. It came out to be a 100rwhp/155rwtq gain though

Sweet car to you as well man
Old 12-04-2005, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by REDWS6ROCKET
Well I hope you get the results you are looking for. But I am afraid that going from heads/cam to a large cam only setup will leave you dissapointed. A nice before/after graph will tell the story
Old 12-04-2005, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

thnaks fro eveyones help..... any more suggestions for a nice h/c setup?
Old 12-04-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

well the MS3 is defininitely gonna make tremendous power.....like they stated above you can get a set of TSP 5.3 heads that will clear...but cma alone is gonna run hard...check out some of termin8rs videos