Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Did I break it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 03:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I break it?

Driving home tonight (really cold maybe around 15* or so) I was getting some noise from around the shifter area which got louder and louder. It finally just sounded like a GOD AWEFUL grinding mixed with clunking sound. It was almost unimaginable and only happened when I pushed the clutch in or let off the gas. It would stop making it as soon as I gave it gas but immediately returned as I let off or even put it into neutral.

To give an example of how it sounds youd have to compair it to a old school rollercoaster going up a steep incline but with an added grinding. I felt it all the way through the shifter. Did I blow the rear end? Is it the rear end? Could it be the tranny?(Tranny is an 02 with under 18k miles)
Old 12-04-2005, 04:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

You say right in your description that the noise appears to come from the shifter area. I'd be looking at your trans or throwout bearing.

Rear end noise will be constant, and get worse with increased speed. It will only go away when the car stops. Pressing the clutch in or shifting to neutral and having the noise disappear tells me it's probably not the rear end.

BTW...did you do something "stupid" to suspect the rear diff. (Like a 7K RPM clutch drop....revving to the moon, etc.?) Rear diffs don't normally go bad...unless you beat the hell out of them at the track (ie slicks) or do something really violent with the trans on the street.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope, I dont dump the clutch at anything above 2k rpms ever. My dad had mentioned it could be the throw out bearing. I have no clue though :-/
Old 12-04-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I took a quick look under the car and there is a puddle of fluid under the pumpkin. Pinion seal busted maybe? I just had it replaced > But from what I can tell (without jacking it up) it has no gear oil in it.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TTT Could use another opinion or 2 here.