Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cutting the metal under your lid and k&n filter or keep cold air induc..

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 08:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cutting the metal under your lid and k&n filter or keep cold air induc..

the part i am talking about is under the filter if you take it off youll notice a huge blocked off air area well ive cut all the plastic out to make it a f7ully open square . i curently have the metal cold air induction that shoots air into the filter but im thinking that is a very small shot of air......... should i take the forced indution piece out and cut a full sqaure out? soo its compleatly open? there is curently about 50% metal covering it i will try to get something that looks like what im talking about!
Old 12-04-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you could fab up something like a large square that goes to the grill or underneath the car and have it go straight to the metal piece, lets see some pics though
Old 12-04-2005, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

not sure how to enlage it! can you??

well 4 the first picture the red is the filter

the second pitor the black is the plastic i cut out and the green is the metal fram that blocks about 50 % of air that could be getting through!

the 3rd : the green is the metal i want to cut out whos done it??!
Old 12-05-2005, 12:11 AM
10 Second Club

up! uhh nobody has done this!?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

The metal on figure 10 and 11?

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...am_air_mod.htm
Old 12-05-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

Are you talking about the sheet metal that holds the radiator support? I don't think that would be something I'd want to cut on my car. Although it's not very thick, it looks like it provides some small amount of structural support. I know I've seen one person do this though, but I haven't done a search on it to find the pics.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Even if you were to cut that ... there isn't a direct source of air coming up from under that metal. Unless you cut out the plastic that runs underneath it ... I wouldn't mess with it as there is only so much air the engine can take in. I don't think having that much more air flowing to the filter would do anything performance wise, except dirty up more of your filter faster.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

If thats the piece he is talking about, I tottally agree.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree I would not cut that piece, with a stock setup and just bolt on pwr these engines breathe well.

Also the metal you want to cut, if same as in pic, does provide strength and rigidness for lateral movement of the car. In a sense it would be like installing a strut tower brace then cutting away material. In theory!
Old 12-05-2005, 03:32 PM
10 Second Club

ok yea the pic is here

yes it is the metal across from the dotted lines!i was thing about cutting 45 percent out and taking the siver cold air kit out of there and customizing a new one that is much more bigger and lighter!!!
Old 12-05-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes that is what i was talkin about
Old 12-05-2005, 04:39 PM
10 Second Club

here i come customizing~!!!!
Old 12-06-2005, 02:59 AM
On The Tree

I've done it & felt a butt-o-meter difference.......I'll take pictures & show you guys what I'm talking about & how it came out.....
Old 12-06-2005, 07:18 AM
TECH Regular

I'm pretty sure the first pic is a rubber piece and the second with the tray is plastic. What metal are you guys referring to?
Old 12-06-2005, 07:37 AM
11 Second Club

I am guessing you are referring to the core support. I would advise against it as doing so would significantly weakin the structural integrity of the core support itself which can lead to other problems as it would help with chassis flex instead of preventing it. Supposedly there is some exception to cutting this rule of thumb (Or so I have heard.) which is to use a small hole saw and keep the holes reasonable (Relative?). Personally I would err on the side of caution and not be cutting holes in my core support. I hope whatever you decide works out for you. Take care and happy holidays to you and yours.

Jim C.

PS-If you have at least an eight point cage in your car then I would think that my above ramblings would be more of a moot point.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

hmmm...camaross1slp pics please
Old 12-06-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah lets see those pics camaross1slp plz
Old 12-06-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

Yup, that' s the upper tie bar, on the radiator support. As said, it is not advised to cut that. That part ties the hood and fender aprons together. God-forbid, in a collision, with holes that size removed, the whole front of the car would come apart. Of course, this would be more than a parking lot collision. But that part is integral to the structure. Additionally, it ties the front unibody rails together.

If you HAVE to cut it, keep your cutting to a minimum. Good luck.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TondSS
the part i am talking about is under the filter if you take it off youll notice a huge blocked off air area well ive cut all the plastic out to make it a f7ully open square . i curently have the metal cold air induction that shoots air into the filter but im thinking that is a very small shot of air......... should i take the forced indution piece out and cut a full sqaure out? soo its compleatly open? there is curently about 50% metal covering it i will try to get something that looks like what im talking about!
You might not make it better. Consider this: The bottom end of the scoop is as wide as the hole you intend to make by widening the air box hole. But as it feeds up into the air box now, it narrows. This compresses and accelerates the air. That's a good thing. If you widen the hole in the bottom of the box, but you eliminate the compression/accelleration of the air stream in the process, the mod seems counter-productive, because it would dissipate the ram air effect. Now if you made the hole in the air box bigger AND attached an even bigger tapered scoop....

It's not the size, it's how you use it... the air box hole, that is

Quick Reply: cutting the metal under your lid and k&n filter or keep cold air induc..