Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

ses light question

Old 12-04-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ses light question

the other day i was driving and i noticed that my ses light came one. i know that i have a leaky radiator, and i already ordered one (also could anyone maybe help me install it). when my car heats up the lower coolant light comes on, also the ses light goes out when the car is warm and at idle but turns back on when i start driving agian. and it sounds like the fans are running when its on. i know i have a leaky manifold, so could that be it? i took it over to big-o to see if there was a code, and he didn't see any. i am gonna be there next saterday, so if anyone could take a look at it then, that would be great.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a hold of Ellis. He can install the radiator and read that SES code.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:55 AM
TECH Veteran

You talking an exhaust manifold leak or intake manifold leak? My C4's intake manifold leaks a few tablespoons of oil at a time (its a significant oil leak) and it doesn't throw any codes...

As Howard said, best bet is to give Ellis a call...
Old 12-05-2005, 08:43 AM
10 Second Club

First & foremost make sure it's full of water! If you drive it while the water's low enough to turn on the low coolant light you can overheat it & damage the motor. And since the fans are running full time, I'd say it's too hot. Next to running a motor low on oil, running it low on coolant is about the worst thing you can do.

As for the rest, like everyone else says, call Ellis.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:46 AM
TECH Resident

well i feilled the rad up. now the low coolant light is off, but the ses light still comes on. could it be my exhaust manafold leak?
Old 12-06-2005, 01:56 AM
TECH Addict

Like I said before, Ellis can read the code and tell you exactly why the SES light is on. just send him a PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jewbacca
well i feilled the rad up. now the low coolant light is off, but the ses light still comes on. could it be my exhaust manafold leak?

Or for a quick check on what the code is, drop by a schuck's or autozone and have them check the code--they'll be able to give you a printout of what the code is and what it might me. For free.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:50 AM
TECH Addict

not to beat a dead horse, but schmucks and auto zone will only tell you certain things ... usually nothing to do with what is really the cause of the code (just like a dealer they are in the business of selling parts). call ellis. he will read the code and tell you the exact problem. you are in lynnwood. he is in monroe. not much of a drive. it is further from my house or work and i make the trip quite regularly. i am not getting any sort of kick-back in the matter outside of knowing i am helping the both of you out. ellis is a member of the boards, schmucks/auto zone is not.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:18 AM
10 Second Club

True enough, while Schucks etc will tell you what the code is, Ellis can tell you what it means, if anything. Many of them are just nuisance codes that the dealer / Schucks might use to sell you parts. A lot of them can simply be disabled as they mean nothing, or it's from a mod you did. Ellis will give you a no BS answer.....
Old 12-06-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Veteran

My favorite code is the "Hey *******, you forgot your gas cap AGAIN" code.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rottluver
My favorite code is the "Hey *******, you forgot your gas cap AGAIN" code.
or the "You need to losen your gas cap" I've seen several people take their car to Ellis with an SES light, only to find out that they need to relieve the pressure on the tank, simply by taking off the gas cap and putting it back on.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

ok now i am really stumped. i filled up the radiator, and now the low coolant light doesn't come on, but the ses light still does. i think i am ganna have to take it to ellis house and have him ride in the car and try to pull the code when the light comes on. also, this is for ellis, i am getting a radiator, shocks and struts, and i am gonna buy headers this weekend. would i be able to get some help with putting that stuff on, and get a retune at the same time?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ses light question