Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing SES...running rough one sec and fine the next

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing SES...running rough one sec and fine the next

I was drivin to work today and bout 1/2 mile after i left my house it started running really rough......i was at about 1-1500 rpms the whole time. After a few minutes the car started running fine again. I needed gas to i filled it up a little over half way. I started it up again, felt fine, drove off and soon as i left the gas station i felt it again, and not even a minute later the SES light started flashing and went away and started flashin again another minute later and after a few flashes it stayed on. It also seemed to be surging....it felt like it was losing power and all of a sudden it started pulling but i only had that twice, wasn't a continuos problem. I'm going to take it to autozone tomorrow to read it but anything i can check until then?

I just changed the oil last week from castrol syntec 10w40 to 10w30 since its gettin cold now and it just started snowing. Doubt its got anything to do with that. I was thinkin possibly O2's? or spark plugs/wires?

Or could that have anything to do with EGR? SES went on about a month or two ago for EGR and MAF sensor but went off on its own soon after but i cleaned the maf anyway.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Junkie

a flasing ses light is a misfire. check your code with a scanner then check all of your plugs, and wires.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

Well i went to Autozone today and had the codes scanned........and it was
multiple/random misfires. and it also set off this code......Manufacturer control. fuel air metering. Anybody know what that one is? or how to fix it?
Old 12-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Well i just did a search and i think i figured it out. I know one of my O2 wires touches the driver side header near the collector so i'm guessing after all this time it's been meltin away and just now got real bad. I'll just buy a new O2 extension tomorrow and put that on........wonder if that would fix the rest of the problem with the misfires? i hope so! I'll keep you all posted but i'm pretty sure that's my problem. Makes complete sense to me!
Old 12-05-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like you also have a maf problem. What mods do you have, does it have a modified maf, been tuned ect.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Stock MAF.......just cleaned it about a month ago.

Mods: FLP LT's w/ORY, GMMG exhaust, SLP Lid and CAI w/, Taylor 8mm SpiroPro wires w/ NGK TR55's.....and i believe thats it right now unless i missed somethin. And STOCK TUNE!
Old 12-06-2005, 02:21 AM
TECH Resident

I've had the same problems, although mine misfired with my LT's when I got caught in a rain storm. I'm almost guaranteeing you its one or both of your o2's. What was the code #'s?

Word to the wise for guys with LT's DON'T DRIVE YOUR CAR IN HEAVY RAIN, UNLESS YOU'VE GOT YOUR CONNECTIONS TAPED UP WITH ELECTRICAL TAPE!
Old 12-06-2005, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

I know what the names of the codes were and i did a search so i'm guessing these are the two code numbers i set off.

P0300- Random/multiple cylinder misfire detected.
P1153- Manufacturer control. fuel air metering.

Last year i did have a problem in a snow storm and i guess it could be possible that it started then. The SES came on and it was somethin with the O2's...i wanna say like low voltage O2, and it was driver side which is the side i have noticed the O2 extension is pretty much laying on the header. I haven't had a problem with the 02's since winter last year and the O2's were fine the rest of that whole winter.

I'm guessing they could have gotten wet and maybe been frozen. The SES went off on its own the other day and then came back on again a little later. Now i've noticed that as long as i let my car heat up close to the normal 210* that i dont have a problem with it and as of now, the SES is not on and hasn't gone on since i've let it warm up all the way before i drive off. I'm going to head to speed inc right now and buy a O2 extension and hopefully it solves the problem.

If they are the O2's, can i replace those with the O2's i'm not using anymore? I still have the other set in my room.....the O2's that normally went after the cats.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

have you changed your plugs abd wires?
Old 12-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

I changed em about 1 1/2 years ago when i did the headers. about 15-20,000 miles ago....and i put in the NGK TR55's and Taylor SpiroPro's 8mm. I'm going to have to wait till friday till they get more O2 extensions in so i'll see if that works then. And i'm actually not sure if i'll need it at all....the extension might be fine, it could possibly be the wire thats directly off the O2 so i might be able to change it with one of my other ones....prolly check it out tonight.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

Well sure enough the extension was fine for the most part, just a lil bit of a melt on the connector but it wasn't anything bad so no need to replace it. I was gonna wait till this weekend but the car wouldn't even idle smooth once i let it warm up the way it use to so i ditched my class and fixed it. I used one of the old O2's i had from when i did the headers. Now the car is running fine, made sure to keep the O2 connector away from the headers with a lil bit of tape but i'm gonna fix it up better when i have time.

I'm guessing the light will turn off on its own tomorrow and if not i'll go read the codes again but i'm sure its fixed now. And i'm prolly gonna tape the connectors up too because even though the connector was melted i think the only reason i had a problem was because it got wet....because the seal thats in the connector was melted open.

FINALLY FIXED!........i hope