Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9 inch center section

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 05:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 9 inch center section

i bought a used center section with a posi and 4.11 gears for my moser 9 inch and i have a question, it is installed in the car now and i have some play in the yoke when i twist the driveshaft to spin the tires, if i turn it clockwise it twists about a inch before the tires move, then when i twist it counter clockwise about a inch then tires move the other direction, when i twist it back and forth it sounds like pinion isn't close enough to the gear. i was thinking that if you twist it back and forth there shouldn't be any play from clockwise to counter clockwise am i correct? i drove it down the driveway and when letting out on the clutch it made a thump like it takes about a 1/4 turn before it engages but while driving the rear has no whine on accle or decel. i know i am removing the center section but wanted a few comments. i personal don't think the pinion depth or the ring gear was spaced right. thanks for any help.

Last edited by BIRDONNOS; 12-05-2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:39 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does indeed sound like excessive play in the gears, possibly due to wear since it is a used center section. How old is it? If it is an older Ford unit, it could be 40 years old, and the play could just be from wear. Bob
Old 12-06-2005, 05:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah you should have minimal backlash. I would think no more than 0.010-0.015" . Something is seriously not set up right.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Banned

Almost sounds like you have a locker in the rear and not a posi.

CMC
Old 12-06-2005, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

well i drove it to work today and all the way home it didn't make the thump when taking off straight from a red light, but when i got close to my house i went into a cove and stopped and turned my front wheels all the way to the left and started to let out on the clutch and thats when it did it this time, as soon as i let out on the clutch and the car started to move it made that thump sound sorta like a jerk, not a popping sound. it only does it when i first take off straight or if i am in a turn from a stop and it doesn't do it everytime i take off from a stop just sometimes. the gears inside look new with a wear pattern in the right places according to diagrams i have looked at. i did have to put a 1350 yoke on it and tightened the pinion nut till all the of the play was gone and then turned it a hair more as this is what i was told to do by the guy who sold it to me. i didn't have a inch pound torque wrench to get 15 rotational inch lbs, so i used his method. anymore suggestions would be great, this is my first time messing with a rear. it looks good and doesn't leak a bit so i hate to tear back into it but i will to get it right. could someone explain how a locker works cause it does seem like something is engauging and disengauging in a turn but i don't understand why it would do it sometimes in a straight line from a light and sometimes not do it.

Last edited by BIRDONNOS; 12-06-2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:48 AM
Banned

Does it click around turns?

CMC
Old 12-07-2005, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hawkcmc
Does it click around turns?

CMC
only sometimes
Old 12-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Banned

Sounds like you have a locker my friend, if that is the case then everything described sounds pretty normal. Have to learn how to drive it to keep it steadier. Also it gets worse in the cold. I will say that it jumping when you start out sounds like its a little loose but nothing I would be overly concerned with I am sure it is still pretty stable as for as performance goes.

CMC
Old 12-07-2005, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

thanks for your help on this one, the more i drive it the better is gets, no whine or howl on decel or accel and no vibrations all the way up to about 110mph and no leaks.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Teching In

LETS TRY for 160mph@ the GATE this Weekend!!!
Old 12-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Banned

No problem, you just have to get used to it a little. Dont worry about it either, you got a much better diff than any posi. These are known for holding 1000 HP.

CMC
Old 12-08-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

uhh, yea... if its a locker and you want a posi, id be glad to take it off your hands for ya... LOL.