Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slave problem... Is there an aftermarket slave?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slave problem... Is there an aftermarket slave?

I have a 2000 SS with factory manifolds and 23,000 miles. I can have the clutch pedal stick to the floor at the switch from third to fourth gear whether I have been driving the car all day or if I drive it right after start up and stone cold (so, the problem has to be deeper than the fluid bubbling). The slave has been replaced twice (under warranty at two different dealerships with confidence given by the dealership that the problem would be fixed-air in system and a defective slave) and the problem was only fixed temporarily. GM gives the same slave part number for 2000 to 2002 6-speed transmissions (98-99 are the same). The slave doesn't seem to be holding up because there is always a little bit of fluid that seeps out and collects at the bottom of the bell-housing. Can anyone put their head together with me on this one... what causes a brand new slave to leak after such a short period of time (GM's design... a mistake)? Are the internals of the slave cheaply made or is it composed of weak material? Is there an aftermarket company that offers their version of a heavy duty slave? What is the set-up like on a Vette. Can its slave be used on an F-body? Does anyone know? I hope to find more answers to the slave mystery, now that I will be doing all the work and not a dealership because the warranty is up. I think I will go with the adjustable MC, do the drill mod, and inspect my clutch/PP when I do pull everything down. I guess it won't hurt to insulate the line because I will be installing LT's soon. Can anyone help? Any information is greatly appreciated!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:44 PM
wrencher

The stock style pressure plates have been known to cause these problems as well. I betting the slave is not the issue the rest of the system is. Might as well do the clutch along with the rest of the hydraulic's. It will cure your problems.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:13 PM
Teching In

So, what's a good clutch/PP to go with to get away from the "stock style"? I make trips occasionally with the car, while keeping the miles down, but I do want to take it to the track from time to time during the summer. What would be a good choice clutch/pressure plate, after mentioning that? Anything would help.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

I bought the Spec Stage 3 and a mcleod upgraded Slave cylinder a few months ago And lemme tell you, ive never had a problem with it since. i went to the track ran 8 times. the first six runs having about 10 mins or so inbetween each run. powershifting @5500rpm every time and not a hint of slippage or soft pedal. the slave has a bigger bore for more fluid to flow thru, and the spec stage 3 is an AWESOME clutch. it came with a shim that u put behind slave cylinder so it doesnt over-extend itself. I love it!!
i believe you can find the spec stage 3 on www.EADPerformance.com for $385. you wont find a lower price anywhere else. i think i got the slave on http://www.tbyrne.com/ hope this helps!