Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

drove car on spare for 100 miles, now there is a whine

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drove car on spare for 100 miles, now there is a whine

i was forced to drive my 2000 ss with a spare on the rear for 100 miles. the car is now making a loud whine noise.

is there a simply fix for this noise, will i have to replace my gears?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:05 PM
12 Second Club

I don't think it will hurt the gears, but probably something with the carrier. With the spare being a different size than the wheel/tire on the other side they are turning at a different speed. Much like when you turn. Some cars actually say something about this in the owner's manual. I would pull the cover off the diff and start inspecting to see what exactly is wrong.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

you are supposed to put spare ONLY ON FRONT..damage has been done..get someone who knows rearends to look at it.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

If it is had a diffrent overall diamiter of the wheel on the oppistie side, it will cause damage. The rear end limited slip will see that one wheel is spinning faster then the other and will allow the diff to slip to avoid tire chirping(why spools chirp through turns). In the new f-bodys i am aware that they have a all gear drivin posi so that would be why your rear end whines now as damage was done to the gears were as in the older ones you would have burnt out a clutch pack that was in thier. So for a 100 miles your were constinly makeing the rear end compinsate for the diffrence in over all diameter or the wheel thus causing damage to the (torsen?) drivin posi.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

2002 owners manual says if you get a flat in the back to put a front tire on the back and put the spare in the front ONLY...it says the spare will cause damage to the rear if put on as a back wheel...good time for a 12 bolt upgrade
Old 12-12-2005, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

2002 owners manual says if you get a flat in the back to put a front tire on the back and put the spare in the front ONLY...it says the spare will cause damage to the rear if put on as a back wheel...good time for a 12 bolt upgrade
Good to know
Sorry bout your R-end, maybe change the oil too