Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS owners?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 05:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS owners?

Am I the only person with this same problem? Everytime I drive my supposedly daily driver in the rain I find myself having to crawl under the car and drain all the intercooling piping because I don't want the water that was sucked into my charge piping and into my engine freezing through the night? I wish there was an easier way to drain the water. It's really making me reconsider my buying this kit.

I'm out.

PS. In another post I commented how I was "caught" doing 75 in a 55 and got a spd. cal. slip from Jeff and they reduced it from a 20 mph over to Dysfunctional Speedometer and only fined me 50$.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Launching!

Drill a tiny hole in the lowest parts of you piping so the water can drain out. It shouldn't leak much air but will force all the water out.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by reocamaro
Am I the only person with this same problem? Everytime I drive my supposedly daily driver in the rain I find myself having to crawl under the car and drain all the intercooling piping because I don't want the water that was sucked into my charge piping and into my engine freezing through the night? I wish there was an easier way to drain the water. It's really making me reconsider my buying this kit.

I'm out.

PS. In another post I commented how I was "caught" doing 75 in a 55 and got a spd. cal. slip from Jeff and they reduced it from a 20 mph over to Dysfunctional Speedometer and only fined me 50$.
No this does happen to more then just yourself. Most rear mount owners just won't speak up.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:28 PM
9 Second Club

I have an STS... dont have the problem that I am aware of.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no problem here, but my setup is not stock.

make sure you use the sock or build a shield, or get the updated filter/shield combo from STS. at that point it's no worse than any of the low mounted air fliter setups like the ATI and such.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JZ 97 SS 1500
No this does happen to more then just yourself. Most rear mount owners just won't speak up.
Ya, it a conspiracy

Never happened to me...
Old 12-06-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This did happen to me....BUT it was because I never re-treated the sock on my filter, and it wasn't keeping the water out anymore. It didn't help that I drove through a South Florida down pour! Get some waterproofing spray (like the stuff for boots), and spray the sock every so often. That should solve your problem.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Happened twice to me, both times with no sock. The last time was in flooding and most of the filter was submerged I idled through that mess to make sure I didn't suck up water and hydrolock. Nothing like 18" of standing water and a low air filter. Everyone in Las Vegas that I know that has a low air intake has had issues like this, not just STS, thankfully it almost never rains in Vegas.

The solution for the most part is to use the sock or get a shield around the filter, that will eliminate the problem.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:43 AM
Launching!

Never had that problem but never drove through rain pudels, just rain.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:02 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks all for the comments, hopefully that shield will do the trick. It should be arriving today. And I've honestly never heard about spraying the sock w/ any water repellant. That sounds like a good idea! Have a great day. See ya on the street.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hotrod04
Never had that problem but never drove through rain pudels, just rain.
lol, look at how high your truck sits. these guys are talking about midget stance Fbodies.

and you're in AZ. i was in San Jose for 6 months...hardly saw any rain. but in the east coast, it rains. a lot. probably no rain in AZ almost. you can't compare your personal experience with this seemingly known problem.

Last edited by skunk50; 12-07-2005 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

I really cant see anybody sucking water unless your driving your car into a lake.lol.thefilter sits high up in the back.I drove mine for a year in rain and snow and never had a problem,even in a downpour.unless your driving into standing water witch you should not do regardless.just use commonsense
Old 12-07-2005, 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the advice boosted. I definitely wasn't driving through any standing puddle purposefully. But if it's downpouring around my area it's going to cause a puddle here or there.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Banned

Default sts ideas

I would get the air filter sheild from sts and make sure you position it
so that the drivers rear tire isnt able to fling water directly at the air filter.
Autozone has a sheild that fits the 3" intake pipe for $9.99 in their ricer section that is simialr in design.

As soon as I can I want to make a sheild that fits back there
that would prevent water from getting splashed directly on the filter/sock.
I think if we bought a straight design filter instead of the cone
shape they use with the kit we could delete the curved intake pipe. and then straight mount mount the filter about 2-4 inches from the turbo. then one could make a simple curved sheet metal bottom or road deflecting sheild that way we could avoid water being driectly thrown at the filter.

I live in oklahoma and it doesnt rain much here but man we have road dust. I grewup in chicago and I know with the amount of rain/snow that would happen in chicago it is possible that water would get pass that k/n filter in the stock position its in.. kn filters are probably the worst about letting water pass through them . i do claims adjusting and i have seen countless pics of water injestion through a k/n filter mostly on off road vehicles..even though the seller of the intake system said it was waterproof.

I think if I have the time or if someone has the time a sheild needs to be made that will mount back there. I think a sheild that would cover the
filter wouldnt restrict the airflow that much since most of us are only pushing
around 400 500 hp anyways.. and that huge filter or the new filter they are using is probably overkill for the amount of flow we actually need.

Last edited by 98Ztwentyeight; 12-07-2005 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

400 - 500 hp requires more air than you think.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:14 PM
12 Second Club

Billy, the 5" conical filter that you recommended that I get allows plenty of enough air flow?
Old 12-07-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by skunk50
lol, look at how high your truck sits. these guys are talking about midget stance Fbodies.

and you're in AZ. i was in San Jose for 6 months...hardly saw any rain. but in the east coast, it rains. a lot. probably no rain in AZ almost. you can't compare your personal experience with this seemingly known problem.
Ever heard of monsoon season?

its much worse then just rain, cause it mixes strong rain with mini twisters(mostly just dirt) and clogs all kinds of **** up.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

I think if we bought a straight design filter instead of the cone
shape they use with the kit we could delete the curved intake pipe. and then straight mount mount the filter about 2-4 inches from the turbo
works fine with the big cone. this is exactly what I have done sans the shield because I wanted room for my dual exit exhaust.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

I had a problem once on the interstate in such a heavy rain no one could see. After that I bought a piece of thin sheet aluminum and fabricated a cover and works great. I am very concious about it back there but as long as you pay attention and don't go puddle bashing, you're fine.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

I tried spraying some weather protector on it and today it rained. Absolutely no problems, thanks NYSS Guy, for telling me about the rain treatment. I wouldn't have thought of it otherwise.

Quick Reply: STS owners?