Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another exhaust question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another exhaust question.

Yes another exhaust question.....Would a true dual setup be of more benefit than a Borla 3" full open catback ?? You guy's/gal's with the true duals...do you have them dumped or run up over the axles ?? Also, anyone running a true dual setup with the Spohn TA and saftey loop?? Any clearance issues??Any pics and comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by SS1875; 12-07-2005 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

much more of a benefit

do a search for true dual pics and yo will see plenty

here is a set i just built using spiral flow mufflers
Attached Thumbnails Another exhaust question.-dsc01618.jpg  
Old 12-07-2005, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/415227-true-dual-photos.html dumper or over the axle will sound good.. and yes you will benefit more with true duals go to ls1sounds.com to hear sound clips.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

If your lowered like me, stick with the borla or else youll scrape the Duals off, otherwise Duals all the way. coming from a borla guy BTW

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 12-07-2005, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Superman09
If your lowered like me, stick with the borla or else youll scrape the Duals off, otherwise Duals all the way. coming from a borla guy BTW
You just answered another question for me...thanks.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

It depends on the Ypipe you have now, and if you have cats.

I went from a 3" catted (carsound) Ypipe and Corsa to Offroad 3" duals, over the axle AND an S2 Ported Throttle body.
Picked up ~10hp/10tq on the dyno.
Now how much of it can be attributed to the S2 and how much the duals, who knows ... but I know that atleast some of the gain can go to the S2. And therefore, IMO the the power gain from switching to duals from a Ypipe setup, is not justified by the price of the duals.

Now, the dumped duals flow better, and probably come closer to justify the price for duals ... I don't have a comparison on my car of with the tailpipes and when it was dumped unfortunately.

I'm going back to a custom catted Y w/ 2.5" piping here in a couple weeks because as mentioned, the 3" duals hang pretty low, although they did give me better ground clearance than my old mufflex 3" Ypipe that I had the carsound cats in.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SS1875
Yes another exhaust question.....Would a true dual setup be of more benefit than a Borla 3" full open catback ?? You guy's/gal's with the true duals...do you have them dumped or run up over the axles ?? Also, anyone running a true dual setup with the Spohn TA and saftey loop?? Any clearance issues??Any pics and comments would be appreciated. Thanks
If you want to know about exhausts try the sticky about mods and exhaust. It will tell you a lot.

Basically, exhausts are about flow rate and the exhaust pressure wave.

A good Y setup will match ANY dual setup until the size of the piping becomes a limitation with the Y pipe.

To exceed what a good Y setup can provide you'll need either FI or a good h/c setup. Essentially over 400rwhp.

Sound however will be different regardless of BHP output.

Serioulsy if you are happy with your setup now I'd spend the money on something more worth while.

Remember IF you setup flows well, you may actually loose power by swapping to duals, if the dual setup flows worse or detrimentally affects the exhaust pressure wave.

EDIT: Ok read your sig, looks like a nice setup.

Yes a 3" Y is porbably a restriction on your setup. But possibly not by much, as I have not yet found any data concerning bhp loss due to increased restriction. It may only be 2bhp but then again it may be 20bhp.

However, I'll satand by my word. To get any 'real' benefit you will need to design a good dual setup. just randomly slapping it together will probably not result in a good setup.

Last edited by 300bhp/ton; 12-08-2005 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS1875
yes it would. here's my dyno results comparing the borla 3" adjustable to the bassani tru-duals on the wife's car. the bassani goes all the way out the back. don't know how it would fit around the loop though.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:22 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks to all for the input.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

A member here has had a dual set up that ran on the pass side that would fit. I have seen a setup with a SLT loop that a shop in San Antone tx made that the X was were the drop bar is. Look on speed inc site I think its picured there.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

A member here has had a dual set up that ran on the pass side that would fit. I have seen a setup with a SLP loop that a shop in San Antone tx made that the X was were the drop bar is. Look on speed inc site I think its picured there.