Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ORY or catted Y

Old 12-07-2005, 08:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ORY or catted Y

Alright so my car Currently has the SLP Loudmouth exhaust. Not my choice it was on the car when I got it. I am doing a cam swap, LT headers, and clutch this winter. But I am debating whether of not to get an ORY or a catted Y. My issue is that I like the way my car sounds now but I HATE the way LT's and loudmouth sound together. I am debating getting the catted Y to have some control over the sound of the exhaust.

I know a lot of people will do the dynomouth setup. But I am concern about clearance with this setup. My car has the Bilstien suspesion and I already scrape the resonater on the loudmouth getting in and out of my driveway and garage. Does clearance change at all after doing this alteration.

And another thing to think about is I do have emission testing in my area. But it is only OBD2 type where they just scan the computer. (plus I am a certified emmisions inspecter I know the lope holes ) With the miles I put on the car I am eligable for an exeption from emission but I just want to play it safe casue who knows how laws will change in the next couple years

anyone have any suggestions/ advice
Old 12-07-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Well, as for the bullet muffler, I have one in my I-pipe, and it is tucked pretty damn good in there. It is not much larger in diameter than the actual pipe. So you may gain 1/2-1" of clearance vs. the resonator.

As for the cattey y-pipe, I would get it because I'm a tree hugger, and it will make your car sound better anyway. lol.

good luck. I plan on getting headers like you as well. I'd be interested how to your setup sounds with the dynomouth.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

anyone?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like the loud exhaust so I saw ORY, but thats just me
Old 12-08-2005, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

im not a fan of cats, but they keep the rasp down. i noticed almost no difference between a gutted cat and a hi-flow cat sound wise-they both made a crap load of rasp-this was on a v6 camaro. once i put a bullet muffler in the i pipe it completely eliminated the rasp. i am planning on getting lt's and an ory on my ss, and just put a dynomax bullet or borla xr-1 in the i pipe. the bullets are cheaper than cats and dont eat up as much horsepower. they are the way to go in my opinion
Old 12-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Launching!

yes clearance does change significantly after this install, even with an ORY you will most likely lose clearance, albeit a catted y will cost you even more clearance. Review this thread just FYI.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=QTP+catted+y

my suggestion is just have a custom y built, it will cost you less in the long run and will fit better than any aftermarket y-pipe you can buy.....as for how LTs sound through a catted y and LM, here's my car just for reference.
http://video.ls1tech.com/Player.aspx...catted%20y&p=0
if you get RandomTech cats for your custom y, you will not lose any noticeable power, i would say less than 4 rwhp and you could possibly see an increase in rwtq. But ultimately it's up to you what you decide to go with.

Last edited by slpss9723; 12-12-2005 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the insight
Old 12-12-2005, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

I've had both. I would choose a catted-y pipe if I had to start all over. Even though I have no emissions, I still chose the catted-y pipe over the ORY. With the catted-y pipe, you won't have to deal with the smell, and it also makes it sound deeper, as your probably know.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

it you stick with the LM, I would definitely go with an ORY, I've heard it with a ORY and it sounds terrible, has no sound to it, like a 70's chevy with straight pipes. I would look into either a bullet muffler or the LM 2 muffler, the LM 2 muffler is the same as the bullet inside wise I believe and the LM 2 muffler is stainless so you can keep a full stainless exhaust. I've had both LM and a LM with a bullet in place of the LM muffler and the bullet sounds awesome with the catted Y so I would with the kitties....
Old 12-12-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who makes aftermarket catted Y pipes?? i have shorty headers.. and was wondering about an aftermarket Y with CATS (i have to stay legal)
Old 12-13-2005, 10:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
Thanks for the insight
you're welcome man, hope that helped you out.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Catted y or not, be prepared for a VERY LOUD exhaust. I don't know the specs on your cam, but I'm willing to bet that combined with LTs and the Loudmouth is gonna triple your exhaust volume. My suggestion, save some dough, ground clearance, and the headache of fabbing a custom y and go ORY with a good flowing mellow cat-back.

You can't go wrong with an ORY and either a Hooker or SLP dual/dual (or even SLP 2otl). From personal experience, I can tell you the Hooker sounded bad *** with my ORY. Add the cam and I had to go a little quieter, that's why I bought an SLP dual/dual. I picked up my dual/dual muffler and tailpipes for $125, all I need was an OTA pipe from SLP for $70. Now I've got my Hooker for sale.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:48 AM
10 Second Club

oh I still have the original dual dual SLP exhaust( got it from the previos owner) but I will need to get a new OTA pipe from where the guy I bought the car off of cut it off. My cam isn't to crazy with my 1.8 rockers and the cam it is an effective .583 lift. but it doesn't have real agressive ramp rates. I know the car is going to be loud I don't mind that and the car isn't my daily driver. But I just don't want it to be raspy That sounds like crap to me
Old 12-13-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=10166

I think you'll be happy with the slp dual/dual if you don't want rasp. It's not the loudest exhaust, but it is known to be one of the best flowing cat-backs on the market. Again, I went ORY to save some cash and ground clearance. The Hooker sounded great and eliminated the rasp almost completely. I figured, at the absolut worst I could throw a bullet in the i-pipe and get rid of it completely.

Search this Thread