Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo quad question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Location: its as intense as the time i forgot how to sit down
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default turbo quad question

i know its not lsx related but not sure if anyone has done it.its an 03 400 ex,question is,should the carb go before the turbo inlet or just pressurize it,and i was told i would need another fuel pump,but not sure if i do for running mild boost. dont flame i saw a whle back there was a lot of turbos on things .thanx guys
Old 12-08-2005, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

my friends and i put a K03 off of a VW on a cub cadet lawn mower and i runs like a champ. we even entered it in the lawn mower pulls at the local 4h fair.

we gave it oil from the hydrostatic rear. ran the plumping out of the head with steel plumbing pipe, then PVC pipe rom the turbo to the carb. ran a vacuum hose to the fuel tank to pressurize it so it dont run out of fuel.

didnt really do much for power. more for visual effect, that and all of us mechanics have nothin better to do. i'll try and get some pics up.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/...rbo_resize.jpg

check that **** out......
we snapped the frt axle out of it doin wheelies and had to make our own..
Old 12-08-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by squirrel masta
i know its not lsx related but not sure if anyone has done it.its an 03 400 ex,question is,should the carb go before the turbo inlet or just pressurize it,and i was told i would need another fuel pump,but not sure if i do for running mild boost. dont flame i saw a whle back there was a lot of turbos on things .thanx guys
I think all turbos go before the fuel source since it would be bad to run gas through the turbo.

And I believe you don't have a fuel pump, the only sport quads with fuel pumps are the fuel injected ones, most are gravity fed.

I looked into turboing my banshee but couldn't rationalize the cost of it when I have 3 toys to mod right now.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:13 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few turbo kits out there for the 400ex. I have no idea what the price is though. Probably would equal the value of your '03 400.

Flamin' turbocharged Banshee? Screw that, you can make plenty of power NA. My buddies is forged, bored, and built pretty stout. Riding that thing on a trail is dangerous. Come into the powerband, and you'll be into a tree.

I'm gonna try and find that turbo kit site Greg. I don't know if you've seen it before. It's cool, but I think you could get the same amout of power, for less with a 440 kit done right.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
There are a few turbo kits out there for the 400ex. I have no idea what the price is though. Probably would equal the value of your '03 400.

Flamin' turbocharged Banshee? Screw that, you can make plenty of power NA. My buddies is forged, bored, and built pretty stout. Riding that thing on a trail is dangerous. Come into the powerband, and you'll be into a tree.

I'm gonna try and find that turbo kit site Greg. I don't know if you've seen it before. It's cool, but I think you could get the same amout of power, for less with a 440 kit done right.
Would prolly be cheaper to just get a new 450 ex. I prefer the Yammis to hondas though so I would get a yfz450 or a new raptor 700r
Old 12-09-2005, 05:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a company that builds/sells turbo kits for ATV's.

400ex kit is $4500.00!!! like BAD *** TA WS6 said, equal to the value of your quad itself.

Check em out, pretty cool they just about doubled the horsepower.

http://www.kmsturbo.com/honda400ex.html

Hope this helps....

I put a turbo on my raptor lol! one of my friends had a stock IMI TD04L off his wrx that he wasnt using, and another friend had a stock side-mount intercooler off his eclipse he wasnt using so I order wrx turbo flanges and welded up some pipes. Not the best welder but it works!

Here is a little site I put up a while ago, i'll have to update it when i find time but i do have some videos of it. Sounds BAD ***! lol
http://newfreedomperformance.com/turboraptor/

Last edited by 02NavyBlueZ; 12-09-2005 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

That turbo is soo ****** tiny on the 400ex Your raptor is sweet man. Might want to practice the welding a little more though.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, I'm working on it. That was the second day I owned the welder and did not have argon/c02 so it had A LOT of spatter and discoloration. Much better now.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

well im making my own kit,just asking cause someone told me carb needs to go before turbo,didnt think that was right,and what did you do about oiling the turbo on the raptor
Old 12-09-2005, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

You can put the carb before the turbo...
Old 12-10-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

well im starting the build up today,im going with the 440 kit and cam along wih the turbo,ill keep you guys updated as things go

Quick Reply: turbo quad question