Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

predator carburetor..

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default predator carburetor..

every since I started thumbing through hot rod mail order catalogs many years ago,, i always stop on the page with the predator carburetor..anyone have any expereince with them..do they work good? are they decent on the street..i have tried to google it and didnt come up with much..guess not many people run them..ive just always been curious..
matt
Old 12-08-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cz28.com had a board member use one on his big cube SBC and out of the box it ran .2 quicker than his tweaked Holley and had great manners overall. Shocking to most everyone who read it. A. Because it looks wierd as hell and B. because they're pretty cheap $$$! Do a search over there maybe for more info. I've personally never seen one in person.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes,,ive been reading on hot rodders forum about them..im not really intersted in getting one.. i mean..if they did work extremely well,.i would consider them..but from what i gather..they are really just for wide open ***** to the wall...i dont know though..seems to be that if they did work that more people would run them..i know they have shitty clearance (huge carb) but most people that run big carbs/tall intakes has a huge scoop anyway..i dont know..ive just alwyas been curious...im sure others have also..
Old 12-08-2005, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

you've got it. predators are pretty much wide open carburetors. overall, there is some minor tweaking here and there...i don't know if it comes out of adjustment from vibration or what, but you can screw with the air/fuel by the turn of one screw and it's good. also, the amount of fuel getting into the carb can be regulated with little plates that it comes with that have different sized holes. these are put right in the fuel line right before the carb.

i've never had a nitrous backfire or hesitation from it. they can be ran on steep inclines, too. when the floats on a holley would cut off fuel from a huge incline, that doesn't happen on a predator. they can be mounted any way on the intake manifold because of the square shape, too.

they're pretty cool race carbs, but i wouldn't use it on the street.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

i had one and quickly realized why there so cheap,it takes an engineer to get it tuned and i never could get it to start without pouring gas down it.sold it for alittle of nothing and threw on a mighty demon 825 and am pleased now.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

you may have realized they suck,,but i dont think you meant cheap cheap..i mean cheap i guess compared to the demon..but still pretty steep in price in my book... no way i would pay that much for that...
Old 12-09-2005, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slow trap
i had one and quickly realized why there so cheap,it takes an engineer to get it tuned and i never could get it to start without pouring gas down it.sold it for alittle of nothing and threw on a mighty demon 825 and am pleased now.
Did you have the one with the idle circuit built in?
Old 12-09-2005, 06:03 PM
7 Second Club / STF Veteran

i know a guy with 2 on his 871 blown big block and it runs like 8.60's
Old 12-09-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

sooo..maybee the question is....does the STREET carb run good...that would be sweet if there was no really big thing to tune..i mean theres not alot to adjust on one teh way i read it.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by redbandit98
sooo..maybee the question is....does the STREET carb run good...that would be sweet if there was no really big thing to tune..i mean theres not alot to adjust on one teh way i read it.
Last time I checked, Summit offered 2 versions, a "race" version with no idle circuit, and a "street" version with an idle circuit.

Watching Extreme 4x4 a couple of weeks ago there was a guy running races strictly in the mud with his ford pick'em'up. He had a 408 windsor and loved the carb, according to what he said in the short interview. Something about using an allen wrench and a drill bit to set the float level after a race.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes thats the problem..i cant find anyone whos had the STREET version and ran it..everyone has had the race version...if it works like its supposed to, it would be pretty easy to maintain..i dont know...i just like to do **** different..more i look at it the more i kind of want one..i have more than enough room for that thing...my engine sits pretty low anyway in my truck and i have a 3" body lift on it so i got room..
Old 12-10-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

i had the street version.it's been so long since i had it it i can't remember what all i done to try to make it work.

Quick Reply: predator carburetor..