Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions: Does my exhaust setup flow enough?

Old 12-09-2005, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions: Does my exhaust setup flow enough?

Hey everyone. I have Pacesetter LT's/ORY, and a Corsa catback. I love the sound and do not want to change it for that aspect, but I'm wondering if it's good for what I want. I have full bolt-ons now, putting in a cam in 2 weeks or so, then getting heads, and a dry kit. Assuming that at the most, I'll be putting down 575-600 @ the wheels (on spray), and want to run 10's (my car is pretty gutted), is my exhaust setup good? Anything you'd change? Please chime in.
Adam
Old 12-09-2005, 01:15 AM
TECH Resident

You'll get more power out a true dual setup probably, but if your car is any sort of daily driver, I wouldn't recommend it. Are you stalled? I put my 3" duals dumped at the axle on when I had my 3500 stall and it was loud as hell! Real freakin loud! After the cam it would have been twice as loud probably.

I think your Corsa flows well enough to run 10s, but unless your spraying a 200 shot, you probably won't reach 575-600 at the wheels.

Your number one restriction right now IMO is your LS1 intake.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kpowr82
You'll get more power out a true dual setup probably, but if your car is any sort of daily driver, I wouldn't recommend it. Are you stalled? I put my 3" duals dumped at the axle on when I had my 3500 stall and it was loud as hell! Real freakin loud! After the cam it would have been twice as loud probably.

I think your Corsa flows well enough to run 10s, but unless your spraying a 200 shot, you probably won't reach 575-600 at the wheels.

Your number one restriction right now IMO is your LS1 intake.
Actually, I do have an LS6 intake already, and a 3800 stall.

The 575-600 number is taking into account if I get heads/Fast intake, etc., etc.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

maybe an electric cutout for the dragstrip or a street race?
Old 12-09-2005, 03:49 AM
TECH Regular

Default same here

mods are in the sig. I run hookerLt's,ory and a borla with the open cutout plate, sounds good runs good, But true duals sound so good. My buddy is buying long tubes and lanes duala from a guy, he asked if i would trade my borla cat back and ory for the duals, will I loos low end power, or will the car run the same, just sound different, I love duals dumped, and don;t mind the noise cruisin down the road, motor is music to my ears. any opinions or suggestions?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Assuming you are running a 3" Y pipe then yes with the spray the exhaust is a slight restriction (how much is difficult to tell).

Off the spray it's probably minimal if at all, depends what sort of cam you go for.

In all honesty I don't know what the Corsa mufflers flow like.

Ideally you want 2.2cfm per 1hp (engine).

The biggest problem when on the spray is the actual tubing is no longer big enough. A 4" Y would probably help as long as the muffler was good enough.

If you run cut outs you'll need two, on for each cylinder bank.

If you put the cutout in the I pipe it will be after the restriction so not really help. You need to by-pass the restriction, so a 3" cut out a little bit after each header collector and before the Y merge should do you good.

A GOOD set of duals would probably be benefcial. And if you run them out the back they will be no louder than a Y pipe setup.

2.5" duals would be fine, however if you are going to run the spray @ 600rwhp often, a 3" system would be a potential benefit, but a pain to fit.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Corsa is actually one of the better flowing catback setups in the f-body realm, if not the best. They guarantee a 17rwhp gain over the stock setup, so the flow is good. I was actually thinking of putting dual cutouts n my y-pipe (3"), but don't know how smoothly that could be done.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

Do a search on that. A bunch of guys over here have done it. I asked if you had a stall cause generally a higher stall converter is a little less efficient than the stock one when it comes to dyno numbers. Big cam, great heads, fast intake/tb and a 150 shot should get you 600hp. I thought you were still running the LS1 cause I didn't see your mods listed anywhere.

If you're gonna run a big cam and ported heads, you're probably not gonna be too worried about driveability then. From the sounds of it, you'll be able to live with it. If you want max power, than like 300 said, 3" duals is gonna be your best bet, but VERY VERY LOUD!
Old 12-09-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

My QTEC in my I pipe is worth 4rwhp @ 5rwtq over my Corsa muffler w 2.5" piping to the CME tips. I think your setup is fine. About the only thing you could do to maximize on flow would be to add a 4" - 3" Flowmaster Merge collector. A properly setup Y pipe with a merge will go head to head with any true dual setup.

Old 12-10-2005, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the true duals would flow better but, the corsa should be ok for that
Old 12-10-2005, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go the cutout route for now if you like the Corsa exhaust pretty well.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

Search this Thread