Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bigger valves in stock head

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bigger valves in stock head

How much of a hp/torque difference is there between a cleaned up stock head with bigger valves and the typical aftermarket head. I think the OEM heads are pretty damn good as is. i would think just adding larger valves would be 90% of the hp/torque gains the aftermarket head guys see.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

once you install larger valves,you have to enlarge the bowls underneath them to realize any gains.if you just install larger valves without any supporting bowl work,you can actually lose airflow/HP.look at the GMPP LS6 heads,they flow great and they use stock size valves.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 66deuce
once you install larger valves,you have to enlarge the bowls underneath them to realize any gains.if you just install larger valves without any supporting bowl work,you can actually lose airflow
I agree completely.
If you open the bowls and seats up to about 90% of the larger valve diameter then you get much more flow. Just putting in the larger valves normally increases very low-lift flow only at the sacrifice of a significant amount of high-lift flow.
Some people can get 300+ CFM from a stock head with the bigger valves when the port is reworked.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to threadjack, but how much of a real world difference will the larger valves make? From what I understand the stock seat can be cut to accept 2.020 and 1.570 valves. What kind of flow difference would the valve make vs. opening up the bowl to 90% of the stock valve size? I dont know if the .020 is woth the expendature of new valves, cutting the seats, and the valvejob if the difference is negligable...
Old 12-11-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribing... anyone know who does this and how much it would cost.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Not to threadjack, but how much of a real world difference will the larger valves make? From what I understand the stock seat can be cut to accept 2.020 and 1.570 valves. What kind of flow difference would the valve make vs. opening up the bowl to 90% of the stock valve size? I dont know if the .020 is woth the expendature of new valves, cutting the seats, and the valvejob if the difference is negligable...
good point.i don't think it would be worth it.by the time you add up the cost to get that done,you might as well spend a little more money and get a set of fully ported heads.

Quick Reply: Bigger valves in stock head