Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First day with my new die grinder (porting heads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default First day with my new die grinder (porting heads)

Spent a couple of hours on some 241 heads yesterday. Theyre far from finished, but I wanted some feedback thus far to help coach me along. So far ive done the valveguides on the intake and exhaust, ive D shaped the exhaust runner, and ive smoothed out the intake runner. The runner was widened about .030 on each side, but blending down to the stock casting which was only smoothed. the roof was raised also about .030 and smoothed down. I havnt done any work to the valve bowls or blended the seats yet, but thats the next plan of action. Ill go over the whole thing to smooth out any imperfections that are still there after i finish the bowls and seats. What looks like it need more work?
Attached Thumbnails First day with my new die grinder (porting heads)-resize-ported-heads-001.jpg   First day with my new die grinder (porting heads)-resize-ported-heads-004.jpg   First day with my new die grinder (porting heads)-resize-ported-heads-007.jpg  
Old 12-11-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you are moving right along. Be careful of your width on the exhaust side. Appeared the you are getting kinda wide on one side. Try and keep your port centered and dont get any wider than about 1.58" Take your intake throat diameter down to the valve guide and be sure and widen the runner into the bottom of the short turn. That will help you higher lift.

Brandon
Old 12-11-2005, 05:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Hey that set of heads look like some I have seen before ,good luck with your project!
Old 12-11-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Looks like you are moving right along. Be careful of your width on the exhaust side. Appeared the you are getting kinda wide on one side. Try and keep your port centered and dont get any wider than about 1.58" Take your intake throat diameter down to the valve guide and be sure and widen the runner into the bottom of the short turn. That will help you higher lift.

Brandon
My guess is that the gasket wasnt centered as the carbon buildup was off center. I really didnt hog out much material from the sides, just enough to get through the black carbon buildup and then clean up the casting. I dont have a set of calipers on me right now, but ill see how close i am to 1.58. What should i do behind the intake and exhaust valveguides, leave them flat? Thanks for the help!
Old 12-11-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ss rally red
Hey that set of heads look like some I have seen before ,good luck with your project!
They certainly should look familliar I couldnt have asked for a nicer set of heads to start with. My current heads and my practice 241's all had a large lip as the throat opened up to the valve seats, as if the seats were machines in a little bit off center. The heads from you are almost perfect. Thanks again for such a great deal!
Old 12-11-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you get the measurement of .030 for widening the intake runner port? Just curious...
Old 12-11-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
Where did you get the measurement of .030 for widening the intake runner port? Just curious...
Really it was just a guess as to how much I took off. About the width of my welding wire.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

I didnt think of it at the time but I coulda roughed in an intake and exhaust port on the practice heads you got to help guide ya along . Ohwell, looks like your doin it on your own just fine, just blend everything into each other and things should be good.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
My guess is that the gasket wasnt centered as the carbon buildup was off center. I really didnt hog out much material from the sides, just enough to get through the black carbon buildup and then clean up the casting. I dont have a set of calipers on me right now, but ill see how close i am to 1.58. What should i do behind the intake and exhaust valveguides, leave them flat? Thanks for the help!
FYI, dont think that all ports are centered to the exhaust manifold bolt holes. Because they are not. Thats why most folks have "jigs" to center the port yourself. Also, go ahead and widen the port beside the valve guide into the bowl. Just let it taper back down to the port opening. I am not sure what you are asking about the valve guides. On the intake valve guide you want to make "sweep" around it on the right side, looking down from the bowl. On the back side, take out enough material to make it round like you see in the pictures. Just dont go all the way down to the guide, except on the upper left and right corners.

Brandon
Old 12-11-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls

Brandon
So no bigger than 1.58 on the exhaust width? How about the exhaust height and the intake runner port height and width measurements? Any recommended specifics on that?

Do those measurements apply to 243's too?

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bo White
I didnt think of it at the time but I coulda roughed in an intake and exhaust port on the practice heads you got to help guide ya along . Ohwell, looks like your doin it on your own just fine, just blend everything into each other and things should be good.
Bo, youve already done a bunch to help me out, not to mention all the info youve posted throughout the years.

Last edited by GuitsBoy; 12-12-2005 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Thanx, it seems like Ive been on here forever but I joined a year ago
Old 12-12-2005, 04:43 PM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Spent a couple of hours on some 241 heads yesterday. Theyre far from finished, but I wanted some feedback thus far to help coach me along. So far ive done the valveguides on the intake and exhaust, ive D shaped the exhaust runner, and ive smoothed out the intake runner. The runner was widened about .030 on each side, but blending down to the stock casting which was only smoothed. the roof was raised also about .030 and smoothed down. I havnt done any work to the valve bowls or blended the seats yet, but thats the next plan of action. Ill go over the whole thing to smooth out any imperfections that are still there after i finish the bowls and seats. What looks like it need more work?
This is what I did last night. I still need to smooth it all out.

Old 12-12-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

When i done mine i was told to remove the little bump on the up right hand corner,That were the rocker bolt threaded hole protrudes into the intake runner ,When you die grind it out it will make a hole there but dont worry it not the water jacket. I just put a little silicone on the rocker bolt so no oil will get into the intake runner
Old 12-12-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CBX
This is what I did last night. I still need to smooth it all out.
Trying to show me up in my own thread, huh?!? j/k

Looking Good CBX. How did you gauge the bowl work?
Old 12-12-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Looks good CBX, just take the rocker arm bolt boss out and smooth everthing out
Old 12-12-2005, 08:59 PM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Trying to show me up in my own thread, huh?!? j/k

Looking Good CBX. How did you gauge the bowl work?
By eye, I just blended the intake walls into the valve seats while staying below the valve contact area.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CBX
By eye, I just blended the intake walls into the valve seats while staying below the valve contact area.
Okay, blending the seats im pretty clear on, but what about the lower par of the bowls? Most say to do 90%, 1.800" specifically, just wondering if you eyeballed them or you used something to measure, or maybe you didnt really open that part up too much yet?

Im thinking about just eyeballing it flush with the inner part of the seat down vertically and fading into the bottom of the bowl. Not quite sure how im going to pick off behind the valve guide yet. Guess ill just use the ball carbide burr.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:05 PM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bo White
Looks good CBX, just take the rocker arm bolt boss out and smooth everthing out
Thanks Bo.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Get a stock valve(intake and exhaust) and have a mchine shop turn em down to 1.8/1.395 and then use them as a go/no go guage.