Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sea Foam

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sea Foam

How long do I let this stuff sit before I start the engine again and how soon after I do the sea foam in the brake booster hose do I need to change the oil? i have searched this topic but these answers are still a little unclear.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

The can I think states to let it sit for about 15 minutes. You should at least let it sit for this 15 minutes. Some people do 2 or more hours and some even overnight.

I would do a hour. Then as others say, start it up and watch the smoke show. Then run it with some good WOT runs. Then bring it home and change the oil.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99M6Z28
How long do I let this stuff sit before I start the engine again and how soon after I do the sea foam in the brake booster hose do I need to change the oil? i have searched this topic but these answers are still a little unclear.
Here's how I do mine: buy 2 cans and wait until the oil is about to be changed. Put 1/2 can in the oil itself, and 1/2 can in the gas tank when there is around 5 gallons in it. Drive around for 50 miles or so with the stuff in (I usually drive for 200 or so, but whatever). DO NOT over-rev with the stuff in your oil; keep your RPM's low so that you don't damage your engine by running a very thin mixture for your oil. When you get back home, suck 2/3 of the second can up through the booster hose and call it a night. Wake up the next morning, start the car, and let it run for 5 or so minutes, idling at first, then taking it around the block a time or two. When you come to a stop (the car will probably still be smoking a little bit), suck up the other 1/3 of the can and let it go through. I usually just actuate the throttle body by hand when I do this; revving it up some, but not a whole lot because the thin oil still offers very little protection. When the car stops smoking, turn the car off and shortly thereafter (or at least before you drive it next) change the oil and the spark plugs and by now you're probably about out of gas, so go take care of that. Then you are good to go.

But you don't have to do it exactly like that, of course.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am planning to change my oil in the next couple of days so this will work out. Do I have to change my spark plugs? Will it damage them?
Old 12-11-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

They will not damage the plugs. I normally just put in the first 2/3 of the bottle in slowly into the PCV inlet on the intake then the last 1/3 dump it in to attempt to get the engine to flood itself and turnoff. Sometimes it doesnt so I got my wife in there to cut it off just as I dump the last 1/3. I let it sit overnight and then start it up next morning and it starts right up and smokes up the entire front of the house like I started up 10 fog machines for a disco club.

All the times Ive done it after that have been very light because its already clean. The first time will show you some crazy amounts of smoke, I mean never ending, but it will end after a 10min drive. Just be careful and wait till it stops smoking bad so you dont blind the driver behind you or drive down some dead road.

Dixit

Quick Reply: Sea Foam