Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which brand or Stock?
Stock Lifters will be fine (2001 WS6)
42.39%
CompCams
27.17%
CraneCams
1.09%
Lunati/Morel
17.39%
Other....
11.96%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

To upgrade or not upgrade STOCK Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default To upgrade or not upgrade STOCK Lifters

Hello Everyone,

I will be installing a new camshaft with a maximum lift of .612 and max duration of 236.

Do I need to upgrade my stock lifters? Vehicle has 40K miles. SOME spirited driving. I will be using CM pushrods and stock rockers as well

I've heard that the Comp lifters are trash and that the Comp R's (pro magnums) require adjustable rockers and are also trash...

So with that said, would I be better off with stock lifters as opposed to the Comps, and IF (the IF is key here) I do need to upgrade....Which brand? ( I hear morel is the best, and lunati's are the exact same but cheaper)

When you make a recommendation, PLEASE include a part number, because sometimes its a PITA to track them down on sites such as Jegs or Summitracing.

Thanks!
Adrian
Old 12-11-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

So far, one vote for the Lunati/Morel Lifters.....
Old 12-11-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just went with a new set of stock lifters, since i was told they would work fine.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

I too am looking for good lifters for a tsp 231/237 .589/.595 112 lsa cam keep us posted on your new stock lifters durabiity .

fuerzaws6
Old 12-12-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

PS, if you think its ABSOLUTELY necessary to upgrade the lifters, then vote for something other then the stock ones....and if you do, please include part numbers!!! Otherwise, please vote for the stock ones, i'm trying to get as accurate account as possible!

Thanks!!!!!!
Adrian
Old 12-12-2005, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how many stock lifters have really failed?
Old 12-12-2005, 01:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comp makes the Rs as well as the OEMs. Didn't Aretha Franklin tell you about believing everything you hear?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Has it been absolutely confirmed that Lunati and the Morel are identical lifters?

Last edited by vettenuts; 12-12-2005 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Comp 850-16 are fine.

But with 40K miles the stockers should be OK as long as you do not put too much preload on them. Get the preload right and you should be OK.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Comp makes the Rs as well as the OEMs. Didn't Aretha Franklin tell you about believing everything you hear?
Yes, I know they're made by the same company, like I said, the "COMP" R's (pro magnums) are also trash. haha. I think you miss-read my post...the franklin bit was pretty amusing thou. =P

Vettenuts,

I'm not completely sure on that, but I've been hearing that a lot. Maybe someone who knows for sure can chime in!!

Predator-Z,
Thats what I was thinking. And I really haven't heard of many stock lifters going bad, so I think i'm safe here in this realm. As for setting the proper pre-load, do you have a link for a good explanation of doing this? I had it somewhere but I can't find it anymore..

Thanks!
Adrian
Old 12-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Default Don't use stock

I used the Lunati (72432LUN) lifters. Good for high lift cams & higher springs pressures.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I went to Holley's website to look at the Lunati lifter. No image available. The copy is very vague on the part number. If someone has a picture of the lifter out of the lunati box and wants to post it then we could tell what it is for sure.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Has it been absolution confirmed that Lunati and the Morel are identical lifters?

I'm not a purchasing agent for Lunati nor do I buy their pieces but I do know a heck of a lot about them Morel lifters and from what I believe, Lunati has used the Morel solid roller lifters but so far, haven't heard they've come on board for the Morel hydraulic roller lifters. Someone from Lunati want to verify this?

Camshaft left today Adrian... You'll see it in a couple of days.

Ed
Old 12-12-2005, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

After a couple of phone calls I do not believe the 72432 is made by Morel.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like to know if they are one in the same..
Old 12-12-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by EDC

I'm not a purchasing agent for Lunati nor do I buy their pieces but I do know a heck of a lot about them Morel lifters and from what I believe, Lunati has used the Morel solid roller lifters but so far, haven't heard they've come on board for the Morel hydraulic roller lifters. Someone from Lunati want to verify this?

Camshaft left today Adrian... You'll see it in a couple of days.

Ed
SCHWEEET! I can't wait till it gets here!, i'll be ripping my engine out this weekend and I'll have all the parts! I just love it when things begin well!

I think the mystery of the lifters has been solved. It makes sense that the hydraulic and the solid lifters would get confused, so in my book (thanks to ED) I believe that the lunati hydraulic roller lifter is NOT one in the same with the Morel.

Keep the poll rolling...this will probably help others as well! I'm off to study for exams....the worst part of christmas break...

Regards,
Adrian
Old 12-12-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is the way I look at it, but this is only me and my twisted view on things. The Morels are really good lifters. You are going to have a lot of coin invested in your upgrades. If it were my car, I would do the lifters as well especially since you seem to have a lot of lift and likely a lot of spring pressure when open. I just don't believe in skating too close to the edge. Through all my searches, and this was somewhat unscientific, I have found that 625 # open valve spring load is about the limit for a stock lifter. I determined this by looking for people running aggressive cams and springs with no stock lifter problems, those starting to develop problems (not mileage or age related but had occasional ticking) and those who flat out ruined a lifter. The conclusion I came to was above this number I would go to a better lifter. If you are going to spend the $250 for new ones, why not go for the full enchilada and get the Morels.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Here is the way I look at it, but this is only me and my twisted view on things. The Morels are really good lifters. You are going to have a lot of coin invested in your upgrades. If it were my car, I would do the lifters as well especially since you seem to have a lot of lift and likely a lot of spring pressure when open. I just don't believe in skating too close to the edge. Through all my searches, and this was somewhat unscientific, I have found that 625 # open valve spring load is about the limit for a stock lifter. I determined this by looking for people running aggressive cams and springs with no stock lifter problems, those starting to develop problems (not mileage or age related but had occasional ticking) and those who flat out ruined a lifter. The conclusion I came to was above this number I would go to a better lifter. If you are going to spend the $250 for new ones, why not go for the full enchilada and get the Morels.
Well... "if" he needs them, he knows who has 'em...

Ed
Old 12-12-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Thats a good point, but i'm running the Patriot Gold dual spring kit, and I believe the open # is somewhere around 385. Please correct me if i'm wrong because I'm pulling that from memory....

That is very good information, and observation on your part though....

625# open pressure before the stock lifters will go...anyone back that up?

At this point, i don't think i'm going to upgrade them, I just don't think I have much of an extreme setup to upgrade. If I was running a super crazy cam and some fucked up #'s springs, or high mileage, that would make more sense. But I've just heard too many horror stories from people using the comps and I think stocks are better!

Adrian
Old 12-13-2005, 05:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Your open pressure is 385 X 1.7 = 645. I would go with the Morels from Ed if this were my car.

Quick Reply: To upgrade or not upgrade STOCK Lifters