Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How easy is it to put stripes on my Z???

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How easy is it to put stripes on my Z???

I am looking at getting some orange racing stripes for my hood and hatch for my white 98 Z28. I am looking at http://www.3rdgendecals.com/camaross.htm. Are the stripes easy for a novice to install or should it be done by a pro? Also are there other stripes that are cheaper that are fine to use? Thanks.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I cant tell you how hard they are to install as I have never done it myself. I can tell you that I have read that it takes a lot of patience and you will still have so-so results. I would take it to a professional. I also do NOT think hood stripes belong on 4th Gen Z28s, they just look weird with the smooth lines of the hood. Just my opinion.
James
Old 12-11-2005, 10:25 PM
12 Second Club

I did the hockey stripes and manta stripes on my car myself. It was my first attempt at doing large decals. I had done smaller ones and tinted a few windows so I had the basic idea of what needed to be done. All went on fine except for the trunk stripe. I did it when it was too hot and the sun was still shining on it a little bit. I wound up with bubbles and a couple small wrinkles. I'm going to be redoing the trunk stripes in the spring. The hockey and hood stripe went on fine. Just make sure the vehicle is clean, cool and you use LOTS of fluid when actually putting it on. You have to measure it all out and make sure you line it up right. It took me a while to get the passenger side stripe in the same position as the drivers. Jay has some good instructions he gives. If you're not comfortable with it I'd go to a shop and have them put on. Since you're in GR there's a place over on Clyde Park and 44th(if I remember right) that does stripes. I think they were the shop that did the Berger stripes. I can't remember the name of the shop at the moment though.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

I bought some racing stripes for my Trans AM off that site, they went on real easy as long as you do the wet application just follow the directions he will send you in the email after you purchase them and its pretty straight forward. Or just google some directions for vinyl graphics... Mine came with am "Import Killer" graphic which i put on my rear windshield.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very easy for me. Just make sure you don't get the vinyl's backing wet, or else the paper will "disintegrate" when you try to pull it off, and you'll end up with nasty wet paper stuck to the sticky part of the vinyl.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:28 AM
12 Second Club

Most of the vinyl Jay uses don't have the paper backing, they have the plastic backing so you don't have to worry about it. He says what colors have the paper backing and warns about getting it wet.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

They kinda go on like wallpaper dont they? (except for the glue process)
Old 12-12-2005, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

http://www.bedlamcreations.com/vinyl.../instructions/

Just make sure you do the wet method or you will get alot of air bubbles. (you will still get them whether you do dry or wet but wet makes them alot easier to get out)

Quick Reply: How easy is it to put stripes on my Z???