Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got an LS1 and T56 from a junkyard, what should I check?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got an LS1 and T56 from a junkyard, what should I check?

I ordered a junkyard LS1 with all the trimming (ecu wirring ect) and 100K on it from a 2000 firebird that was hit in the rear to put in my RX7. It was supposedly running fine when they pulled it. I was planning on doing a leak down check on it, i was wondering what else i should do? Should i go ahead and replace the rear main seal? Put a new clutch in it I guess, any thoughts about the transmission?
Thanks.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Teching In

How much did you pull that off for? Im looking on doing the same just tryn to see how much i would be looking at.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Well, all i have spent so far is the 2.5k on the motor and tranny, i'm sure there will be another 3k in parts before it's on the road.

Anyone have any thoughts about things to check?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are willing to tare into it, I would pull the trans off check/replace the clutch. Put a 01/02 slave in it. Change the rear main seal, also check the seal on the back of the trans mine took a **** at 29k in my car. Pull the heads and replace the head gaskets, lifters and their trays. Take the front timeing cover off and replace the timeing chain and put in a ported ls6 oil pump, replace front cover gasket&seal replace the oil pan gasket. Might want to add a cam if you have the $$. Also look in to a ls6 intake manifold (more power and no EGR).

Last edited by conan; 12-13-2005 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by conan
If you are willing to tare into it, I would pull the trans off check/replace the clutch. Put a 01/02 slave in it. Change the rear main seal, also check the seal on the back of the trans mine took a **** at 29k in my car. Pull the heads and replace the head gaskets, lifters and their trays. Take the front timeing cover off and replace the timeing and put in a ported ls6 oil pump, replace front cover gasket&seal replace the oil pan gasket. Might want to add a cam if you have the $$. Also look in to a ls6 intake manifold (more power and no EGR).
Good answer.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Awsome, thanks for the advice conan. What was the difference in the 01/02 slave? So check the seal at the drivshaft of the trans, is the one on the input shaft also one to replace or is it a bitch to pull, i think i will probobly leave well enough alone with it if it's not leaking.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hal9000
Awsome, thanks for the advice conan. What was the difference in the 01/02 slave? So check the seal at the drivshaft of the trans, is the one on the input shaft also one to replace or is it a bitch to pull, i think i will probobly leave well enough alone with it if it's not leaking.
GM upgraded the slaves that went in to the 01/02 cars. The back of the engine have a cover like the front timeing cover, so if you have to change that seal you can take off that cover to do it. You will need to replace that cover gasket if you remove it. The seal on the trans is on the back where the drive shaft slides on the spline's of the trans. It is a simple swap, the cost of the seal will hurt you more that the install.

Quick Reply: Got an LS1 and T56 from a junkyard, what should I check?