Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What parts to replace/upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 06:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What parts to replace/upgrade?

My cam walked and now I have a knock so I am pulling it apart and plan to rebuild/upgrade. One of my car club buddies builds engines for old school cars so he will be helping with the assembly. What all should I upgrade or replace to make a decent forged shortblock? Also, what is necessary as far as internal balancing when introducing new internals on these engines?

(22K miles on shortblock. 1000 miles on cam/oil pump/timing chain. I plan to atleast get new heads and probably a different large cam)
Old 12-12-2005, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the stock crank polished, forged rods, and pistions. You can take the crank and the new rods/pistions to a machine shop and have them balanced. Get ARP rod bolts, and I think ARP makes bolts for the crank journal blocks. Check the timeing chain for any damage due to the cam moving. For the cost you might want to throw in new lifters if they have some miles on them. If new I would at least put new lifter trays in. What H/C are you looking at?
Old 12-12-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not quite sure as of yet. I was thinking a set of AFR heads and maybe an F14 or F15. I wouldnt mind keeping the MS3 that I have now but I need to figure out why the bolts backed out of it. I used high strength loc tite and torqued them to spec. When I inspected the bolts I found that all the loc-tite had moved to one side of the bolt which makes me wonder if the threads on the cam were correct to begin with.

I am actually really open to any combos if you want to suggest one or two. The car is mainly a street car with maybe one track visit a year. Large cams are OK(i tuned the MS3 myself). I currently have a 3500 stall but am willing to change it if I need to.