Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another possible fbod..

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another possible fbod..

OK, scratch my 3 choices from my other thread. I just talked to a salesperson on the phone about a 00 t/a WS6 with 44k miles M6 for $16.5. The salesman was particuarly knowledgeable in fbods (having owned 3) and we talked about them in general. He said this particular one was in great condition inside and out, except for the usual headlight motor problems and some minor dings in the interior. He said it has a clean carfax but will run it for me anyway. Atleast 80% left on the tires, clutch is in good shape, motor is in great condition. He said he's driven it many times and is very strong. I think I'm going up tomorrow or on the weekend to check it out. Any thoughts/advice for me? The price is obviously negotiable, but what would a good price be to shoot for? And what is the most I should pay for it if everything is in proper and good condition?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone have an idea or advice? It would help me out alot.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

I would think about a powertrain warranty if they offer one. I lost all but 1st gear one month after buying my car. Saved me $2400. The last owner must have driven it like I do.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

Oh, yea. That sounds like a decent price, but I would still try to get em down around $15k. A friend of mine just bought an 02 w/ 30k for $18k. He shopped around for a while, though.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah...I've been "shopping" for over a year and a half. I will talk them down to at least 15 grand. If not, then the shopping will continue. But from what I've seen and from talking to the salesperson, this seems like a very decent car. Anyone else?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was looking for my 2nd f-body, I was pretty specific, LS1/M6/Hardtop/Cloth/(Blue/Black/Silver). I knew 01/02 were the years to get, and anything else, power anything, leather, SS was a bonus, but not necessary. I spend 1.5 years looking and had 3 lined up back near summer 04. Unfortunately the day of my test drives, my dad had a serious accident and the purchase was put off.

Fast forward to 1 year later, spring, I found a SS that matched what I wanted nearby. for $12K USD. I would have taken it, but someone upped their offer over the weekend while I was assembling funds... learned my lesson. A small deposit is worth a lot.

Sept 05 I found a 98 LS1/M6/Leather/Mystic Teal/Power Everything/100% Bone Stock and half the mileage of the SS (44K), garage stored over the winters, 1 owner, absolutely mint and clean, clear everything and $11K.

Things I learned. End of summer/beginning of spring to mid spring good time to find good price cars. The $4000 you save over a 01/02 is more than enough to get the parts needed to make a 98-00 better than those years. A deal will appear to those patient enough to wait. My car was found in the autotrader and had a poor picture taken of it, and listed with mistakes due to the dealer's lack of knowledge of the car. See the car in person, see if its a real treasure or a lemon. Talking with a dealer for 2 hours won't tell you what the car will tell you itself during a test drive/self inspection will in 5 mins. It also helps to bring along a true f-body fanatic, or be one yourself (first pics of myself when I was a baby had my dad's 79 camaro as a backdrop heh). You'll find your car. Good luck.

Last edited by SladeX; 12-13-2005 at 12:43 AM.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what options are on it? sounds pretty good for price year and miles, but take a serious look at it but i am sure u know that. if its in md. see if u can get a deal with the tags, title, and taxes. u have to remember thats around another grand or so extra.

i know it takes awhile to find the right one but its worth it.

good luck.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks SladeX, I'll keep that stuff in mind. Like I said one of my friends who is really into cars in general and who owns a z28...(along with a cobra and gn) will be coming with me.

It has pretty much every option...00 t/a ws6 ram air, m6, leather, t-tops, power everything, cd player and i think the monsoon system, clean carfax (not that it matters too much) and looks to be in immaculate condition.

Ok, here's something else I have to figure out. Should I tell them I'm trading in my jeep? Or sell it to a local jeep dealer and get the money for it and then go to the t/a dealer and put all that money down then? I'm trying to get the most out of my jeep so that I will have no monthly or very low monthly payments.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allergik2dyin
Ok, here's something else I have to figure out. Should I tell them I'm trading in my jeep? Or sell it to a local jeep dealer and get the money for it and then go to the t/a dealer and put all that money down then? I'm trying to get the most out of my jeep so that I will have no monthly or very low monthly payments.
Probably the way to get the most for you jeep is to sell it outright. Most of the time, you can get more than you'll get on trade in, even though its a pain in the ***.

Other than that, take it to a couple of places and see who will give you the most for it. There's no guarantee that the jeep dealership will give you more. I know alot of the time, down here at least, dealerships don't buy vehicles, they only take them as trade in's.

Good luck with your purchase..
Old 12-13-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chadtx01
Probably the way to get the most for you jeep is to sell it outright. Most of the time, you can get more than you'll get on trade in, even though its a pain in the ***.

Other than that, take it to a couple of places and see who will give you the most for it. There's no guarantee that the jeep dealership will give you more. I know alot of the time, down here at least, dealerships don't buy vehicles, they only take them as trade in's.

Good luck with your purchase..
I agree, but that could take forever haha. And I know I'll get screwed through a trade-in. I know a guy fairly well at a Jeep dealership so I'm hoping that he would be able to buy my Jeep outright. We'll see how it goes.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright so the same salesperson called me and said they just got another Trans Am in. This one is a 2001 ram air, m6, leather, 21k miles for $18,5. I think I'm really liking this one more. It's black on black, one owner, no mods, well maintained. Thoughts?
Old 12-13-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh yeah the 01 sounds even better! i would do that i a heart beat, black on black is a killer combo as well as pewter / black
Old 12-13-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, in fact I'm tired of it haha. But if anyone else could give me some advice of which way to go, that would be great. For only 2k more I could get an 01 with 22k miles. I guess the only thing to do is to drive them both and see which one I like better. I doubt the 18.5k pricetag on the 01 will budge very much.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MdFormula350
oh yeah the 01 sounds even better! i would do that i a heart beat, black on black is a killer combo as well as pewter / black
Just read your post after I posted mine. But yeah I think I'm leaning towards the 01 black on black. I figure $17.5 would be a steal. But these 2 car choices could not have come at a worse time. I have exams for school and can't get a day off of work until next week. Ironic, huh?
Old 12-13-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if its in md. see if u can get a deal on the taxes tags and title if not just go for it. that is a real decent price for it and low miles. try to get a warranty at least.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

put a desposit down, the place in Pa. i bought mine said i could put 300 down and they would hold it for a week. i came the next day with the full amount

yeah exams around here also, right before hte holidays, it gets real stressful, just look the car over good, listen at the engine on cold startup, check the fluids, etc...
Old 12-13-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FYI for anyone who cares....my insurance going from a 00 Grand Cherokee v8 would only go up 30bucks/month for the 00 t/a and 50bucks/month for the 01 trans am. So between $210/month and $230/month. Im 18, and will be 19 in March. This is through All State.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

go for it, sounds straight, try to get a warantee if you can
Old 12-13-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd say definitely get a warranty. I did through the dealer I bought mine at. And I'd say go with the 01. For $2,000 more you get half the miles. And low miles at that. If there is one thing I regret about my car is that it had 71,000 on it when I bought it. I wish I had one with less miles, so that's what I'd recommend based on experience. And if you do trade in your jeep, don't tell them till the end of the negotiations, you'll see better results.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LvDemKings
I'd say definitely get a warranty. I did through the dealer I bought mine at. And I'd say go with the 01. For $2,000 more you get half the miles. And low miles at that. If there is one thing I regret about my car is that it had 71,000 on it when I bought it. I wish I had one with less miles, so that's what I'd recommend based on experience. And if you do trade in your jeep, don't tell them till the end of the negotiations, you'll see better results.
Thats my thinking also. I figure I can handle an extra 2grand just for less miles...and I prefer black over silver, even though either would be amazing. Think I can get the 01 down to around 17 total? I'd be sittin pretty if I got that.