Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Sounds of a dying 10 bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds of a dying 10 bolt?

M6 with 4.10's. When I accelerate from first gear, there are like 3-5 clicks that arent extremely loud but are audible. I am basically wondering what you will hear when your 10 bolt is on its last leg.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I was an A4, with a stock 10 bolt, with a few passes on the Nitrous, and mine started to "Whine" like a supercharger, and it got worse as I went faster. When Ide take it out of gear, it would go away, but it still was there when I came back. There was some shavings in the diff cover, but nothing crazy.

Sounds like you may have chipped a tooth or two. Pull the cover and look. HTH
Old 12-12-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="1153">
<tr>
<td align="center"><font face="verdana"><span style="font-size: 14; font-weight: bold"></span></font></td>
</tr>

<tr><td align="center"><font face="verdana"><span style="font-size: 12"></span></font></td></tr>

</table>

<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="1">
<tr><td> </td></tr>
<tr>
<td align="center"><font face="verdana"><span style="font-size: 14; font-weight: bold"></span></font></td>
</tr>
<tr><td align="center"></td></tr>
<tr>
<td align="center"><font face="verdana"><span style="font-size: 12"></span></font></td>
</tr>
</table>
Old 12-14-2005, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

When I was driving around the street on Nitto DRs, I had a similar clicking sound. One time while doing a "medium" (<2500 revs) launch away from a stoplight, I snapped the welds off of the front yoke where it is pressed into the driveshaft (praise the lord for DS loops!). Granted, this was an aftermarket 3.5" alloy DS, which was not welded very carefully, but it might be worth you checking. Is the sound coming from the rear axle or can't you tell?? BTW; this was the only time my car was ever towed or on a flatbed (or did not run) in almost 90K miles!