Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Stupid Exhaust Setup Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Stupid Exhaust Setup Question

I know I know. This has been answered 43 times already and I am posting it again! But I couldn't find the exact info I wanted in the search, so you will have to read it again!

Here is the setup:

Dynatech stepped LT headers

Short Bullet Mufflers

X-pipe

Carsound 3" Cats

All Mandel bent tubing

I have al these parts that I purchased from a board member two years and never got around to putting them on. I am all about stock look. I have just slightly under stock height ws.6.
The setup I have in mind and have always had is a catted 3" coming off the headers into the bullets and, of course dump into the axle cavity at a 45 degree angle outwards.
Right now I have a flubmaster and it sounds awlful as the passengerside pipe FELL off.
What I really want is a great sounding exhaust (who doesn't) but one that wouldn't drive the wife out of the car everytime we drive together (hmmm, and the down side is?)
My thought is with the Cats, it would kill the sound from the LTs, which is fine. I would like a good idle sound coming from THE car, not the back of the car. But want to be able to have a conversation with the windows up on the highway.

Ideas or alternatives?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Ok, let me bump and add another question. This isn't a question about should I buy, that are bought already. I have a set of Dynatech stepped headers 3/4 to 7/8. I am currently running a stock manifold. The motor is stock for cubes and I have been getting closer and closer to installing them and I am getting nervious. Will installing these headers kill my torque when upgrading from stock manifold? Since I am placing a cat in line, will that neigate any potential torque loss?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:32 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dynomax single in dual out or an slp dual dual to keep the lady happy.
i like mine quiet too.
my 4" catback has a 3" muffler on it.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

You wont necessarily "Lose" torque but youll likely not gain as much torque from LTs as you could have with smaller primaries. stepped headers are more for bigger cubes. Cats wont help too much in getting torque back, theyll just add a little back pressure, helping a little bit, but mostly just a +-5 hp diff and sound change.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
You wont necessarily "Lose" torque but youll likely not gain as much torque from LTs as you could have with smaller primaries. stepped headers are more for bigger cubes. Cats wont help too much in getting torque back, theyll just add a little back pressure, helping a little bit, but mostly just a +-5 hp diff and sound change.

Given the give and take, what do you think the final outcome with HP and Torque would be? Do you think it would even justify the replacement of the stock manifolds?
Old 12-15-2005, 05:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

LT's should make a big difference, I don't thing you will be unhappy with them. You WILL gain torque, but it should move the PEAK higher up the rpms. The under curve performance will increase however.

As for the exhaust, I think it will be loud, very!

Your best bet would be to run them out the back, you can either have both pipes going over where the Y would, or get a panhard bar relocation bracket (BMR) this will allow clearance on both sides.

If you are worried about noise, then add some mufflers at the back as well. I recommend Classic Chambered Powersticks, they are compact, cheap and flow so well they won't affect performance.

http://www.classicchambered.com/index.html

You could either arrange the rear mufflers like a GMMG system (transverse):

Or like Stainless Works and have longitudinally:
Attached Thumbnails Another Stupid Exhaust Setup Question-stainless-works.jpg  
Old 12-15-2005, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
LT's should make a big difference, I don't thing you will be unhappy with them. You WILL gain torque, but it should move the PEAK higher up the rpms. The under curve performance will increase however.

As for the exhaust, I think it will be loud, very!

Your best bet would be to run them out the back, you can either have both pipes going over where the Y would, or get a panhard bar relocation bracket (BMR) this will allow clearance on both sides.

If you are worried about noise, then add some mufflers at the back as well. I recommend Classic Chambered Powersticks, they are compact, cheap and flow so well they won't affect performance.

http://www.classicchambered.com/index.html

You could either arrange the rear mufflers like a GMMG system (transverse):

Or like Stainless Works and have longitudinally:

Damn nice looking! Just of the bat, what do you think the sound comparision will be between the headers and the headers with cats on. My thing is I actually went out and bought the cats (carsound) because I really want them on the car (can't afford the ticket). If it isn't going to be a big deal, then I won't worry about asking the exhaust shop to make me a replacement pipe (cat replacement pipe).
Old 12-15-2005, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Twister
Damn nice looking! Just of the bat, what do you think the sound comparision will be between the headers and the headers with cats on. My thing is I actually went out and bought the cats (carsound) because I really want them on the car (can't afford the ticket). If it isn't going to be a big deal, then I won't worry about asking the exhaust shop to make me a replacement pipe (cat replacement pipe).
From my understanding the CATS will certainly help reduce any rasp and keep the volume down to more moderate levels. But eventhough with cats and only two small mufflers I can well imaging it being fairly audiable.

I'd run the cats regardless, as it will help with the sound, keep you legal and won't really cost any HP worth mentioning or worrying about. Unless you need every single pony, which for a road car you probably won't.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:05 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

the bmr relocations kit you mention doesnt clear on both sides, it drops one side to run 2 pipes in the factory location, to my knowledge.
thats a clean looking setup.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:10 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

the bmr relocations kit you mention doesnt clear on both sides, it drops one side to run 2 pipes in the factory location, to my knowledge.
thats a clean looking setup.