Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default starter problems

Alright guys this is what happens. I installed poly motor mounts the yesterday and when I got everything back together I put the battery back in and connected the positive cable. When I went to connect the negative cable the battery sparked and I could hear the starter click. Did I put the positive cable where the starter cable was supposed to go and vice versa? Or what did I do. Let me know guys, I was thouroughly frustrated after spending the better part of two days doing this install.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Getting the cables mixed up on the terminals is pretty much impossible. What it sounds like may be happening is you have the ignition wire hitting the battery cable. Try loosening the cables and repositioning them.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm talking about where the starter is. there is a place right above the starter where two cables attach. The positive cable from the battery and the black cable from the starter. I may have put them in the wrong place. Are you saying that that is impossible. I'll take a look at it after I get home, and see if the wires are hitting.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sound like that's what you did since one cable would have constant power and the other switched power. If you swapped them (if possible) you would have engaged the solenoid permanently the second you connected the battery cable and the armature would not have enough power to turn so all you would have heard was "click."
Old 12-13-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, if that's possible, that has got to be what it is. Because that is exactly what it did. Once I'm done with my finals today I'll go home and check it out.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Hopefully it's disconnected right now because you might burnout the solenoid with constant power.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't have the battery in the car. I went to put on the negative cable and it clicked so I quickly took it off and then just put the battery in the garage. I'm home now so I'll be checking it soon.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok the wiring is right on the starter. I have taken the starter apart. Now when I go to put the negative cable back on the battery the starter clicks pretty loud and sparks come off the battery. What's the deal. Should I start it and see what's up?
Old 12-14-2005, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

No do not try hooking up the battery. Not only can ya screwq up your battery but you can possibly hurt yourself doing that. It sounds like you either have a screwed up ignition switch which i doubt,a screwed up starter solenoid on the starter or something else still wrong with your starter wires. Pull the starter off and bench test it. Then recheck your wires again.If the starter was working fine before ya took it off it has to be something simple.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Something is reversed or "on" for the black cable to spark like that. Did you pinch any wires while putting everything back?
Old 12-14-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

Make sure the wires coming off the starter aren't touching anything. When we did my dad's 396BB swap in his truck, the wires were laying against the starter itself and when we went to connect the battery cables, it started turning the friggin' motor over. Took us a few minutes to figure out WTF it was, but that was it.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok problem found. But new problem arised. Well I found that the positive cable that goes to the starter was actually touching the ignition cable. Moved it out of the way and got rid of all of the clicking noise. Now when I go to crank it, it is like the battery is dead, but I'm positive it's not. The lights are working great and the battery is only a few months old. Anyhow just to make sure we put some jumper cables on and tried again. Still same results. Everything is normal but once you turn the key it just goes uhhhnn and no start. The light dim. I'm guessing the starter is now done for? Let me know what to do. Just get a new starter?

I hate electrical stuff. I know nothing about it and it makes me look like a complete idiot.

(There's another one for you to put in your sig Brandon )
Old 12-14-2005, 10:35 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I don't know what a fried starter would act like... But if you can't figure it out, email valvegod@aol.com, Shaun might have the best deal out there.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me like the classic case of a fried solenoid...I've done it a couple times when I accidentally kept the charger on jump start mode for too long...YOu may try to hit the starter on the solenoid to see if it turns and if it does you know it's that...
Old 12-14-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I don't know what a fried starter would act like... But if you can't figure it out, email valvegod@aol.com, Shaun might have the best deal out there.
John I had quite a long talk with Shaun. He helped me out quite a bit. I'll have some more questions for him when he's on aim again. I don't really like e-mail because it takes too long for a response and then it may be part of what you need and then you do another e-mail. You get what I'm saying. I'm going to try and roll start it and then cut it off and see if it will crank with the key. If not I guess I'll be getting a new starter.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

If your battery is good, then the starter went south if you don't hear it at least click. Remember, you gave the solenoid the full force of the battery (amps) which is way too much current.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well when I get home in an hour or so. I'll be bench testing the starter. If it's bad I'm getting a new starter. If it's not I don't have a clue what to do and I'll be extremely pissed. I'm ready to start driving again and I'm supposed to get my car re-tuned saturday.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

There may be a fusible link in the circuit that blew...if the starter is OK.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Starter is fine. I tested it and the solenoid works and the motor spins. One question if the motor spins does this automatically mean it should start or should it be spinning a certain speed? I went and tried to crank again after leaving the jumper cables on it for 5 minutes or so and it seemed like it almost wanted to go. It sounded like it turned a little but not like it normally will when it almost starts. It was a weak barely could even tell. It was just different from the regular click. Now after the second time trying it went back to the single click and the dimming of lights. I'm going to put it on the big charger tonite and see what's up. I'm just wondering if the starter turns with no load on it does it mean it's good.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:13 PM
11 Second Club

did you have any other grounds off? If not then i would say your starter solenoid is fried or ya killed your battery.