Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

TR 227/224 114 good turbo cam?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 06:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TR 227/224 114 good turbo cam?

looking at getting a turbo kit in the future, wondering about this cam, good, bad? what should i be looking for?
Old 12-13-2005, 06:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the kit first, then the cam.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MachoCamacho
looking at getting a turbo kit in the future, wondering about this cam, good, bad? what should i be looking for?
It all depends on the turbo kit.. Primarily Ratio of exhaust manifold pressure to intake pressure...

Next the heads and remainder of the induction system..

I think alot of people go too big... Esp if they are new to turbocharging..

I'm looking at making big HP on just a 206/212 on 112 LSA.... Tighter seperation only posible to run on a turbo due to short duration.. Still no overlap...

Another option is the 2001 LS6 cam.. 207/217 at 116lsa
Old 12-13-2005, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

I would say it sounds like a good cam for a big turbo like a t-76 with larger than stock cubes, and the lsa may be a little too big. You don't need a big cam for big power with turbos. And you do have to consider exhaust manifold pressure to your intake pressure and it's capabilities (heads,manifold) but I've found reverse split durations seem to work better with turbos. I had the 02 ZO6 cam, but the intake duration is smaller than the exhaust and when tunning we noticed the exhaust manifolds glowing (which shouldn't be happening). With some research I've found out that a bigger intake duration is better, because the exhaust is always going to be forced out at the same flow ratio. The more air you can get in the motor the more power, possibly better spool and the exhaust will always be pushed out at the same rate. Hope I didn't sound confusing- but for sure get the kit first then start worrying about a cam. What kit are you looking at? and which turbo size? That all makes a difference

Last edited by jv_Z28; 12-13-2005 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jv_Z28
I would say it sounds like a good cam for a big turbo like a t-76 with larger than stock cubes, and the lsa may be a little too big. You don't need a big cam for big power with turbos. And you do have to consider exhaust manifold pressure and your intake capabilities (heads,manifold) but I've found reverse split durations seem to work better with turbos. I had the 02 ZO6 cam, but the intake duration is smaller than the exhaust and when tunning we noticed the exhaust manifolds glowing (which shouldn't be happening). With some research I've found out that a bigger intake duration is better, because the exhaust is always going to be forced out at the same flow ratio. The more air you can get in the motor the more power, possibly better spool and the exhaust will always be pushed out at the same rate. Hope I didn't sound confusing- but for sure get the kit first then start worrying about a cam. What kit are you looking at? and which turbo size? That all makes a difference
Glowing exhaust manifolds are normal..

The turbine housing will glow too....

Run it hard then pop the hood at night sometime... Even on a stock turbo equipped car...

Hey look its glowing in there.

You will see why I run alot of things like a turboblanket and header wrap then bolt a heatsheild over everything.

Its not so much if its a single pattern, a forward split or reverse but that the valve events are timed correctly for the engine..

A smaller cam like the one I mentioned is a good cam for street cars with a tighter turbine housing...

The short intake duration will make power down low and have good volumetric efficiency at lower RPM's...

Since it can breath well on its own at lower rpm it takes in more air and therefore makes more exhaust which helps the turbo spool..

This lower RPM VE also helps make up for doing things like lowering compression ratio... So it still has throttle response below spool rpm..

The shorter than what most people think they need exhaust duration makes the most out of the powerstroke by delaying the exhaust valve opening... This also increases exhaust velocity further helping spool..

It works...

I would'nt run it on a car with a big stall converter, thumper turbo, deep gears and looking for single digits or anything.... But on the right setup you wont see alot of turbo lag at all..

Last edited by V8_DSM_V8again; 12-14-2005 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:23 AM
Staging Lane

Yes you are right the manifolds do glow. I should have explained better. I'm not sure of the exact temp. But they were about 85-95degrees hotter with the ZO6 cam compared to a 226/220 cam. Not sure why. Any thoughts on this?
Old 12-16-2005, 06:28 AM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the cam i have been running..... i made the numbers in my sig with a T66 on my first DIY kit.... some new "good" numbers to come with my second T76 DIY kit

Quick Reply: TR 227/224 114 good turbo cam?