Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

crazy T-Top story

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 07:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crazy T-Top story

Ok, I had to post this even though it makes me look like an idiot. I had just finished installing my new motor and had the exhaust welded up on it and was on my way home. I was crusing somewhere between 60 and 80 mph when I heard a sucking noise and then whoof there went a t-top. I don't know if anyone else has done that or will even admit it. Anyway I went back to look for it and couldn't find it since it was dark. So I went home got my truck so I could drive on the side of the road a little easier and had one of my friends looking while I drove. I was expecting to just find pieces of it when my friend says he thinks he sees it and he did. The only thing is that there was nothing wrong with it it was pretty much still in perfect condition. Well that my story just curious if anyone else has had this happen and find it in one piece.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

TONS of people have had this happen...I myself. I have learned to always lock mine so that I am sure the latch doesnt work its way undone over time. When mine flew off it was at about 60 mph and landed in the middle of the road and shattered everywhere...I was lucky no one was following or coming the other way. Definately scary when your roof just sucks up and you see it flying in the air behind you. No need to be embarassed, lots of us have had it happen and we have all felt stupid when it did.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats sucks, but at least it didn't shatter. And I have heard tons of stories about this happening, so don't feel to bad
Old 12-13-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn...I couldnt imagine. That, I agree, would be something to jolt some adrenaline into your stream. Glad I have a vert . Though I do love AND miss the raised rear spoiler
Old 12-13-2005, 08:45 PM
10 Second Club

thats why you shouldnt have t tops :-p
Old 12-13-2005, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do a search on this issue a few yrs back i was at the SLP day in ennis,tx and there was a pewter camaro ss running down the rack when one of the t-tops flew in the same manner and shatterd all over the track
Old 12-13-2005, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

I ALWAYS lock my T's in when racing. I make sure they're properly latched when I get in the car for daily driving and I usually keep them unlocked. I've never had issues on either of my T top cars. Guess I've been lucky.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

I always lock my T-tops, especially after hearing the countless horror stories of them flying of on the highway and whatnot. It's not that big of a deal to lock them whenever you pop them back on, it'll take what, an extra minute to do at the most or whatever. Also, make sure the rubber 'catcher' on the windows weather strip isn't folded when you put your t-top back in, I believe this to be the number one cause of leaks or eventual leaks (it eventually degrades if it's left in its folded position).
Old 12-14-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

damn never happend to me, or it will neer happen to me! lol hardtop....although i'm serioulsy thinking t-top conversion....dot...dot...dot...