Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 05-05-2016, 06:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

Radiator flush & coolant advice please

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Radiator flush & coolant advice please

Hopefully this is the right location for this thread. Want to safely flush the radiator & replace the Dex-cool. Have heard enough about how Dex-cool is safe as long as.... There must be a reason for the lawsuits & that GM is changing to Zerex G-05 for factory fills. Combine that to the sludge that enters my overflow & I'm ready for a change. What is an effective yet safe flushing product? How 'bout the coolant, Zerex G-05 or other? Thanks!
Old 12-14-2005, 06:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

I was not aware that GM was dropping Dexcool.....interesting. So what's the story with "Zerex G-05"? Never heard of it....can't say that I've seen it for sale anywhere either. Is this the clear stuff that comes in the German cars (I think some tint it blue)?
Old 12-14-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

News to me also---would really like to know why they are switching.....BTW...where did you hear this info.???
Old 12-14-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

my 05 GTO comes with dexcool.

my dealer did mention how GM was going away from using their own fluids but thats all ive heard up to this point.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

Still, anyone got a prefered method for flushing the coolant system, I live in an apartment, so can't use the at home flush kits, don't wanna pay pepboys 60 bucks either.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:36 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Originally Posted by BULLET99Z28
Still, anyone got a prefered method for flushing the coolant system, I live in an apartment, so can't use the at home flush kits, don't wanna pay pepboys 60 bucks either.
Looks like you've eliminated your only 2 choices,
LOL.
What about going to a self service car wash?
As long as everything is going into the sewer
system/waste treatment plant I think you're
covered.
About the Dex, I've seen no problems with it,
but this last flush on our vehicles I did use
the Advance Auto extended life coolant. It's
available in either straight or 50/50 premix.
I prefer to use the unmixed 'cause after the
flush I reflush with distilled water and estimate
what's left in the block and mix accordingly.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

I have no issues with Dexcool either.

I've only had the Camaro's system flushed once (by the dealer) when I bought it just to get all the original stuff out as it was many years old. Since then, I don't actually flush the system. I just drain and refill the radiator every spring, thus always introducing fresh coolant (usually just over a gallon coolant/distilled water mixed) to the system. Since I only put about 1500 miles a year on the car, I think this is probably more than is necessary. I followed the same pratice on my WS6 (similar yearly mileage as the Camaro) for over 4 years and it worked great. Coolant always looked clean and new, never any build up.

On my Bonneville though, I get the system fully flushed every two years. But that's because it's a daily driver that sees about 18K+ miles per year.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So..........,

the questions were, what is a good/safe product to use for the flush (to clean out the sludge) & what is a good alternative? Saw the Advanced auto comment; any others?

BTW, found the GM change to Zerex on the BITOG site. I also aked for suggestions about a good flush & alternative fill product there, but, sometimes responses can be slow on that site unless you're in a popular topic thread such as GC-0W30. Figured I'd have a better chance here.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:24 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used some do it yourself cleaner stuff from Advance Auto (looks like a mini antifreeze jug), I drained and replaced with nothing but water, added the stuff to the water, drove around for a few days with it in the system, then flushed a few times with water, and refilled w/ dexcool :/run-on:

I also completly removed the overflow tank and washed it out completly.

You could go to a buddies house and do it if you dont want to do it at the apartment. I wouldnt suggest driving around with no Anti-Freeze if you live somewhere that it actually FREEZES LOL.

If you yank out the thermostat, it will speed up the flushing process (before and after the cleaner stage) by quite a bit.

My system was completly crappy, probably the original 90k mile dexcool (before I got it). The overflow dipstick looked like you dipped it in chocolate. Now it's comepletly clean and has been for 20k.

Quick Reply: Radiator flush & coolant advice please