Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high milage ls1 camaro maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default high milage ls1 camaro maintenance

i have a 132000 mile 98 ls1. this car was baught because i thought i was going to be replacing the motor anyway. well thats not going to happen for a while, so i need some help trying to get this thing to run as hard as possible for as long as possible. the second i drove this car i hated the suspension. when i looked under the car, the bushings were all cracked and the suspension peices looked...well...not all that good. so anyway ive ordered full suspension and some braking components for the car (-shocks +springs which will be ordered shortly) and i'm wondering what i can do for the motor to keep this car performing as strongly as possible. ive thought of a new oil pump and replace the valvesprings/ retainers. i really dont want to spend 2000 getting the bottom end restored, nor do i want to drop the motor at all. what can i replace on the engine to keep this motor running as long as it needs to? sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for all your guys help.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definaytly put in a new oil pump. Might as well do a new timing chain will you are right there. Make sure you change all of the fluids on a regular basis. There's really not much you can do without taking the whole thing apart.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the bottom end will probably be good for a good while longer. The Oil pump and timing chain are a good idea. A water pump might be in order too. The valvesprings might also be a good idea.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Valvetrain (springs, retainers, locks, seals), Check your rockers, might look on ebay for a newer set.

Timing-chain, oil-pump, water-pump(watch the classified's on here or ebay, there is always a newer one somewhere). Other then that, there isn't much else you can do without tearing into her. You should probably do a leak-down test and a compression test on all the cylinders to make sure one isn't f'ed up.

And as 777 said, be very strict with replacing fluids, and make sure none have to be flushed as of right now (trans, coolant, break, steering, ect...)

Best of luck,
Adrian

Quick Reply: high milage ls1 camaro maintenance