Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warped Kooks flanges?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 01:50 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Location: Tinker till it blows, then back it off a notch, maybe!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Warped Kooks flanges?

I have a set of new Kooks 1 3/4" headers for a C5 vette.

One of the flangees (that bolts to the head) is warped about .040" concave. The other is about .045" convex.

Also the gasket and end bolts need opening up for alignment.

Is this normal or should I send them back.

I am waiting on a response from Kooks.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:57 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Send them back...seems to be a few problems lately with their latest batch. They need to step up on the QC if they are going to continue to be one of the premier headers out there...
Old 12-15-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

personally, I wouldn't worry about the warped flanges unless its noticeable to the naked eye... by the time you put a good stock metal gasket on there and torque the bolts down I really don't think you'll have a sealing problem. But I would be real frustrated if after wiggling those things up I found that the holes didnt line up.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me and my buddy. One of the end holes would NOT line up to get the bolt in. I would send them back!
Old 12-15-2005, 02:24 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Location: Tinker till it blows, then back it off a notch, maybe!!

Well I spoke to them and they say that it is normal.

Anyone put a machinist straight edge on their header flanges lately?

I have seen headers that did not leak with this much or more warpage, but in many cases, the stress caused cracking down the road when its TOO LATE.

They didn't sound like they wanted to take them back.

One good note is that they have come up with new material for their gaskets. Unlike the green ones, these are supposed to be good to 2000F.

I've been through this before. Thankfully the engine is out of the car and I am checking a ton of parts as they come in.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I had the holes not drilled correctly on my GTO headers. Both sides as a matter of fact. Headers were full of metal shavings when they arrived. It would be one thing if these things only costed 400.00 or 500.00 but to spend 1200.00 dollars on a set of headers and the holes not be drilled correctly and to leave them as dirty as mine were just doesn't seem right for the price. Other than those issues, I have been very pleased with mine.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen as far as the flanges it is normal for some differance because when you heat stainless steel it tends to change but you will not have a sealing problem at all i told you I will send you a new set of the new gaskets as soon as they get here so please be patient. As far as the holes not lining up this is somthing we were unaware of I will address this right now as we speak. If anyone has a problem with the product please call me so we can beaware of the problem 631 586 9002 ewt 308

Quick Reply: Warped Kooks flanges?