Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust squeek / rattle after warmup.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust squeek / rattle after warmup.

Hi everyone,

I have the SLP loudmouth II bolt on exhaust on my 2001 Camaro SS. It was installed over the summer and I never had any problems with it. After I got the car back from the tranny shop I noticed that afte the car warms up it squeeks and chirps almost sounding like flipper the dolphin when I am at stop lights and going over bumps. I had this happen on another car long ago and the shop said they just loosened ell the bolts, twisted some of the pipes and re-secured them. I can do this, but is there anything else, or some product you can spray on to eliminate this?
Old 12-15-2005, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Sounds to me that maybe while it was at the tranny shop they might have diconnected some of the clamps and left some loose, just get under there and re-tighten everything down. I've got the same exhaust and havent had that problem yet, but those clamps need to be checked and re-tightened every once and awhile. Also ck the y-pipe bracket that bolts to your tranny (m6, if thats what you have).
Old 01-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Teching In

I just wanted to update this in case someone searches this forum for an answer.

I found the problem. It turns out there is a heat shield under the fuel tank and when the exhaust was re-installed it sat about 1/16" away from the pipe cold. When the car would warm up I guess the pipes expand a bit and would just BARELY rub against the edge of this shield. I bent the corner of the shield closest to the exaust back out of the way and all is fine.