Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Someone to fix my 4 wheeler

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 05:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Someone to fix my 4 wheeler

I'm from southern ,MD . I have a 04 YFZ 450 the engine locked up a 5-6 months ago. I had a couple of shops try and work on it but they just kept on dicking me around. Finally found one that would actually tear it apart like they said they would due. Needless to say they took a little over 2 months to fix it (new crank,rod,piston). I only had it for 27 days and rode it 3 times for less than 10 hrs. Something broke again. Now the shop (if you want the name let me know) that did all the work took 1 month to tell me that they weren't gonna warranty there work. It was obvious to me that the valves were adjusted wrong or not adjusted at all. Now I have my bike at home with parts in boxes . I'm having a hard time finding a good shop that can put this back together. I would due this myself but I have no clue as to what goes where or what might be missing so it time for a professional to tear it apart and see what I got. Anyone know of any shops? I will travel some distance for good work. Thanks KEN
Old 12-16-2005, 08:50 AM
8 second mod

Me and my buddy can fix it no problem

we have done lots of quads, we are doing a pistion in a preditor tonight accually.
im pretty far from you tho.
but we can do it.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

cant you take it to a Yamaha dealer???
Old 12-16-2005, 09:25 AM
8 second mod

Dealers suck
Old 12-16-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

how far do you want to go? there's a good shop just down the road from me that does good work but it'll probly be a month turnaround at most right now. they are about 2 hour's or so from you though.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:10 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Krazy98Z28
cant you take it to a Yamaha dealer???
Thanks but no thanks
Old 12-17-2005, 02:16 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Noyzee
Me and my buddy can fix it no problem

we have done lots of quads, we are doing a pistion in a preditor tonight accually.
im pretty far from you tho.
but we can do it.
I'll keep you in mind. I just dropped off my bike off this morning at a shop called Dirt First just north of balt. I'll find something out wednesday and if its within a reasonable price im gonna let them do it. If not i'll tell you what they came up with and we'll see what you can do. Thanks KEN
Old 12-18-2005, 11:06 AM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by smokeum99ta
I'll keep you in mind. I just dropped off my bike off this morning at a shop called Dirt First just north of balt. I'll find something out wednesday and if its within a reasonable price im gonna let them do it. If not i'll tell you what they came up with and we'll see what you can do. Thanks KEN
sounds good to me. good luck
Old 12-22-2005, 06:10 PM
9 Second Club

Just got my quote today. $2441.00 wtf. Everything from the head to the crank will be getting replaced (the cylinder will be renickeled). I know this place is awesome but come on. I've had people that I liked and disliked refer me to them. I think I could buy a new engine for that price.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:27 PM
9 Second Club

here the estimate
Attached Thumbnails Someone to fix my 4 wheeler-dirt-first-estimate-3.jpg  
Old 12-23-2005, 07:14 AM
8 second mod

Looks a tad high, but not to bad. for the money you should go to Hot cams web site, check out some big bore kits, you can buy a head thats all done up for about the same as the one they are selling, and big bore cylinder for close to the same!!!
they, also put down like 55-70 hp!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2005, 08:44 PM
9 Second Club

I'll look in a bit ,but im not gonning bigger than a 450. Next year im gonna start racing at local track (budscreek) and in southern penn. I just want to get it together for the trip to hatfield mccoy after the new year. I'm kinda the one who organizes it and my friends won't go without me for some reason. Anyways thanks for the input.

It sure is funny this stuff happens to me, first my car breaks the rear and tranny then my four wheeler engine blows up. All my toys are broke and x-mas is here. WTF ken
Old 12-24-2005, 11:30 AM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by smokeum99ta
I'll look in a bit ,but im not gonning bigger than a 450. Next year im gonna start racing at local track (budscreek) and in southern penn. I just want to get it together for the trip to hatfield mccoy after the new year. I'm kinda the one who organizes it and my friends won't go without me for some reason. Anyways thanks for the input.

It sure is funny this stuff happens to me, first my car breaks the rear and tranny then my four wheeler engine blows up. All my toys are broke and x-mas is here. WTF ken
even if you dont go with a big bore, they sell a sick head/cam package!! very nice, i put there st 2 cam kit in my z400, and its as fast as a stock 450. once i put the revbox in, it should be faster then one.
nice stuff.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:20 PM
9 Second Club

I have both hot cams and I didn't see anything on the heads , maybe you could give me the link. I also had a rev box but it draining my battery and I noticed no inprovement at all, so I put back in the stock cdi. Thanks ken
Old 12-25-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The YFZ's are known for having problems with the batteries. I think they say they are overcharging. If you run with the headlights on all the time it will help but not cure the problem. Besides who wants to constantly run around with the lights on. Like Noyzee said before you can get quality aftermarket parts put on there and make more hp with them for the same price as what you would be paying just to replace the factory stuff.