PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats Wrong? O2 readiness not completeing...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Whats Wrong? O2 readiness not completeing...

What might I have incorrectly configured in my tune that would keep the oxygen sensor readiness test (not the heater test) from completeing?
Old 12-16-2005, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

well in and obd 2 sytem there are a series of monitors to set and you have to complete a drive cycle i have a book from a class i went to that has the procedure to set all the monitors ill post it tommorow if its what you need
Old 12-16-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by roughneck427
well in and obd 2 sytem there are a series of monitors to set and you have to complete a drive cycle i have a book from a class i went to that has the procedure to set all the monitors ill post it tommorow if its what you need
Nope, ive been through the GM specified drive cycle. Plus 4 days worth of cold starts. If I recall correctly, the oxygen sensor readiness should complete the first time you take the car out... Its the heater readiness that requires a cold start where IAC and ECT are within a few degrees.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if you dont have a check engine light i wouldnt worry about it to be honest.It might take you a couple of months to set the monitor and it was an o2 sensor on a vortec 454 truck that i had put a motor in i had to drive it around for 3 months before it set, all the monitors are for when you take it to a smog shop to see if you just tried to clear a code to make it pass smog all the monitors will be reset and there are 2 parts the o2 readiness and 02 heater readiness.O2 sensors on an obd2 system make very little fuel decisions mostly are there to save the converter.Atleast this is what i was taught in a class i took on obd1 and ob2 drivability and performance.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roughneck427
O2 sensors on an obd2 system make very little fuel decisions mostly are there to save the converter.Atleast this is what i was taught in a class i took on obd1 and ob2 drivability and performance.
You might want to look into getting your money back.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Anyway guys, i just threw in a tune disabling all pertinant DTCs for all the readiness tests. I upload the tune and bang, every one of them is lit just fine. Ill go grab my sticker today and them go back to my last bin to keep things safe.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you list the dtcs you had to disable? I've got the same not ready status and was pretty sure I'd covered all of them, but it looks like I missed some.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hell, disable them all if its just for a day. I mean, you didnt have any codes set for real, right?

Last edited by GuitsBoy; 12-17-2005 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

Ha,ha,ha. That's true! I don't need it for an inspection (we don't have any of that out here), it was just bugging me.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bshell
Ha,ha,ha. That's true! I don't need it for an inspection (we don't have any of that out here), it was just bugging me.
I have probably 50 or 60 disabled. I can send you a .bin if you want to have a look. PM me your email.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

Wow, that many! PM sent, thanks.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

before anyone reads this my bad, after posting i just noticed how OLD this thread is lol, thats what i get for searching :/

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy

Anyway guys, i just threw in a tune disabling all pertinant DTCs for all the readiness tests. I upload the tune and bang, every one of them is lit just fine. Ill go grab my sticker today and them go back to my last bin to keep things safe.

Thanks
how did that work out for you at the shop for inspection, any issues? are you With kaltech? Brian and Steve did the tune on my 99TA two summers ago back when they were in deer park. I too am from the LI Area (Smithtown)

I keep getting a recurring knock sensor code that set the mil light, went away ( the SES light is now off) but its still in the freeze frame and occasionally i get a pending code which then goes away. on top of that after numerous drive cycles i cant get my o2 heater test to complete and i've cold started the car several times. And with all of this there are no other codes or SES light.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by firechicken99
before anyone reads this my bad, after posting i just noticed how OLD this thread is lol, thats what i get for searching :/

how did that work out for you at the shop for inspection, any issues? are you With kaltech? Brian and Steve did the tune on my 99TA two summers ago back when they were in deer park. I too am from the LI Area (Smithtown)

I keep getting a recurring knock sensor code that set the mil light, went away ( the SES light is now off) but its still in the freeze frame and occasionally i get a pending code which then goes away. on top of that after numerous drive cycles i cant get my o2 heater test to complete and i've cold started the car several times. And with all of this there are no other codes or SES light.
Disabling the codes works perfectly. No need for any completed drive cycles. The readiness bits complete automatically. Ive since switched to open loop / maf, so I have the O2s disabled permanently. (I still monitor via my wideband). Im sure you can go get kaltech to touch up your tune and disable the o2 heaters, the only problem is then you have no warning as to when the sensors are starting to show their age. Personally, I always threw o2 heater codes even with fresh o2 sensors. Luck of the draw I guess.

No relation to kaltech, other than brian being a buddy of mine for years now. Hes a good guy and does some solid work to an ECU. Lots of good numbers coming out of his shop last i checked.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

yeah before my ls6 intake with Full Exhaust (LT, ORY, Magnaflow and Elect Cutout), lid, and tune he had me movin about 325 to the wheels. With my 4400 2.6str Stall and MT ET's i Ended up running a 12.4 with a 1.7 60' at Etown and being my first time my Reaction times were HORRIBLE haha
Old 10-27-2009, 08:42 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by firechicken99

Is this Joe from the "MAF porters club of Long Island?" lol j/k I'm only in setauket now so not too far, stop down and I'll plug in and check any codes that are pending or in history.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

unfortunately the startup company didnt pan out as hoped

i go to Stony Brook so your 5 mins away lol, ill try and stop in around 11 tomorrow after class. Right now I have a Freeze frame and pending p0332 knock sensor low voltage. other than the no matter how many cold starts i do the stupid o2 heater test wont complete.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How you "delete" the codes can affect readiness tests.
If you do it by disabling the code, and that test was
a dependency for the readiness "rollup", then it may
fail to complete. However if you make it "enabled, no
error reported" then it can support the subsequent
readiness checks.

Quick Reply: Whats Wrong? O2 readiness not completeing...