Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Running Open Headers "Burn Up Valves?"

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will Running Open Headers "Burn Up Valves?"

My friend was trying to convince me that running open headers would "burn up the valves." First of all, what is he talking about and second of all, why is he wrong?
Old 12-17-2005, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It wont burn up your valves. The only thng you will have to do it put on extensions on the collectors. This is because the O2 sensor would be reading outside air at idle.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Like I said, I know it won't burn up my valves. I'm wondering where he got this idea and how to explain to him why his asumption isn't true.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Alot of people say if its cool outside and your running open headers, the valves get cold to quick. Not real sure on this, but just what I hear.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Veteran

The only way I've heard of screwing up a valve is by starting the motor with no headers/manifolds on it. That would cause a bent valve. There are probably a million cars running at the track with open headers. Some even drive on the street with them and have no problems, other than the noise.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS69TA
The only way I've heard of screwing up a valve is by starting the motor with no headers/manifolds on it.
That's what I have heard too, and that's what I've told him, but I don't even know enough about this for him to believe me.

We're talking about the exhaust valves in the heads, right? How would running open headers or no headers/manifolds "burn them up?"

I know it won't, but I'm trying to argue that it won't.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

it might happen if you run your motor with out any manifolds or headers at all. Although i've never in my life heard of this happening. The theory is that what happens is after you turn off your motor the cold air will hit the valves to quick and damage them.
Since you have a header on it and hot air rises the hot air will will stay in the tube by the head. So he is wrong.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
The theory is that what happens is after you turn off your motor the cold air will hit the valves to quick and damage them.
Since you have a header on it and hot air rises the hot air will will stay in the tube by the head.
Thank you!

Quick Reply: Will Running Open Headers "Burn Up Valves?"