Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Please Discuss here: Does Oringing the Block/heads make an engine stronger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Discuss here: Does Oringing the Block/heads make an engine stronger?

Got into this convo with a friend of mine he has a 396Lt1 with oringed Heads/block, internals are almost indentical down to the 9.1:1 compression ratio. I have Cometic gaskets instead.
He says that by running O ringed motor it will take more abuse and he can run more boost.
I dissagree what do you guys think?
Old 12-17-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

i disagree aswell. O-ringing the block/heads does nothing to make the motor stronger, it simply helps seal the cylinder. BUT, a well setup cometic gasket works just as well as an o-ringed setup IF you set it up correctly. Lingenfelter runs cometics on all their stuff, they just know a few tricks
Old 12-17-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

It depends..

If you go to a copper gasket o-ring...

If you dont have the larger diameter than stock head studs it does'nt matter which gasket or o-ring or not..
Old 12-17-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by V8_DSM_V8again
It depends..

If you go to a copper gasket o-ring...

If you dont have the larger diameter than stock head studs it does'nt matter which gasket or o-ring or not..
hes running copper head gasket oring.
I just dont see how that makes an engine handle more power.
Now by handle more power he didnt mean which engine will loose pressure between heads/block he said his engine is stronger all toghether because of that.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That does nothing for the rigidity of the engine...He might handle more boost or whatever but as far as reinforcing, it does nothing...The only pieces that I know that will actually make a block hold more power are main girdle, main studs, etc...Things that are going to make the block from not twisting itself in two or hold parts down better...I think your friend is trying to down play what you have or build his up...Don't sweat it man...
Old 12-17-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LittleRedZ
hes running copper head gasket oring.
I just dont see how that makes an engine handle more power.
Now by handle more power he didnt mean which engine will loose pressure between heads/block he said his engine is stronger all toghether because of that.
that doesn't make sense, unless he thinks that the gasket is acting as some sort of engine girdle
Old 12-17-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i dont understand either. HEs defanatly not talking the set up down, i know that cuz hes a good friend and hes helping me out with the alky set up that will sub for the intercooler.
He has a D1 12 rib running about 23#s with alky no intercooler +100 shot.
Car put down 730ish through a th400 loose stall and 9"
HE dosent think that i will be able to max out YSI at around 26#s with my motor staying toghether.
thats how the whole convo started
Old 12-17-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well just do it and show him that his "magic" gaskets aren't the deciding factor in what holds your engines together....
Old 12-17-2005, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

It can hold a head gasket better... The LT1 is a 5 bolt per slug motor... Its got a lower % for head problems even with the same gasket as you...

IMHO...

The max I would do if I were you would be get the big ARP studs from W2W.. the ones where you have to dril and tap oversize to run them.. Then use a SCE ICS titan gasket....
Old 12-17-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by V8_DSM_V8again
It can hold a head gasket better... The LT1 is a 5 bolt per slug motor... Its got a lower % for head problems even with the same gasket as you...

IMHO...

The max I would do if I were you would be get the big ARP studs from W2W.. the ones where you have to dril and tap oversize to run them.. Then use a SCE ICS titan gasket....
i have a lt1 as well
Old 12-17-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Stronger, yes and no. No it won't make the block any more rigid, but it will give a better seal between the heads and block. So in this sense, yes it's stronger. I suspect what he's saying is his engine should in theory hold higher cylinder pressures (higher boost) than your combo.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wet 1
Stronger, yes and no. No it won't make the block any more rigid, but it will give a better seal between the heads and block. So in this sense, yes it's stronger. I suspect what he's saying is his engine should in theory hold higher cylinder pressures (higher boost) than your combo.
i think its only a theory as i have seen W2W build a turbo motor with cometics that has seen well over 1000rwhp and it wasnt oringed
Old 12-17-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

If you're 'only' talking about 1000 rwhp, shops have proven traditional gaskets will hold this level. At some point there would be a level where a good o-ringed seal would prove to out hold a traditional gasket, it's a better mechanical seal for high pressure applications.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry this was'nt the LT1 spec part of the forum...

On one of my cars I have made over 500hp on a stock mitubishi composite gasket...

My favorite gasket now.
http://www.scegaskets.com/products/titan.html

Ken D made 1800+ hp on one without o-ringing the block or head...
http://www.scegaskets.com/news/ics-t...horsepower.htm

They are'nt that expensive as compared to other gaskets..